Diving within one flight from Singapore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
I've left my run a little late, but I'm looking at doing hopefully 4 - 5 days diving around the xmas - new year period.

I've got a stopover in Singapore before flying onto Europe so I'm looking for destination suggestions that are within 1 flight of Singapore. To be even fussier if they were reachable with Singapore air/silk air so I could use some FF miles that would be great (and if there was one or more flights a day there that would be even better again:))

Bali was my obvious destination, however there are no flights available with SQ and flights with jetstar are limited and would only give me three days diving (taking into account I don't think I'll be doing much diving on new years day!). I really need to be back in Europe by the 3rd or 4th of Jan at the very latest so it doesn't give me a heap of time. My flight into Singapore currently arrives on the 28th, but that can come forward a day.

So any suggestions would be great - macro, wideangle, it doesn't matter, preferably not too many currents. If it was relatively cheap too that would be even better again (i know, I'm going beyond fussy now!)

Thanks heaps,
mel.b

Fly or drive (4 hours) up to Kuantan, Malaysia and drive (another 4 hours) on up to Redang Island(s). I had a lot of nice dives there. Also, Tioman is only an hour and a half driving north of Sing. Its pretty nice too but I never had great vis there.

FYI : Xmas & New Year time is off season for East coast of Malaysia (Tioman, Redang side).

FYI : Xmas & New Year time is off season for East coast of Malaysia (Tioman, Redang side).

You're right. My mistake.

Might be worth checking airasia.com. Take a 1 hr (?) taxi over the border from Singapore to Malayasia's Johor Bahru airport and catch cheap direct flights to Bali or other places.

Good luck!

You could fly into Krabi, and hit Koh Lanta. Great chance of mantas; above average chance of whale sharks; and lots of wee things like ornate ghost pipefish, seahorses etc. Check out Pimalai Divers.

Fly or drive (4 hours) up to Kuantan, Malaysia and drive (another 4 hours) on up to Redang Island(s). I had a lot of nice dives there. Also, Tioman is only an hour and a half driving north of Sing. Its pretty nice too but I never had great vis there.
Tioman is in it's off season then - I thought the whole east coast was.

The Andamans are in main season though (Phuket).

Lot's of choice up there.

(edit: I see someone already mentioned the season thing)

You could also drive to KL and fly (Air Asia) accross to Banda Aceh for some dives on Pulau Weh - check Lumba Lumba - they have great travel info on their site. Beware though, at time of writing Banda Aceh airport cannot issue visa on arrival - needs to be sorted in advance.

The Andamans are in main season though (Phuket).

Not being pedantic but, the Andamans and Phuket are two seperate destinations, no ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom