DIY Adding a UK Light Cannon video light to your DC 800 !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, here is where I started. I had a Sealife DC 800 Pro kit. I purchased a Underwater Kintetics HID Light Cannon 100, which is a 450 lumen high density discharge light, that can be mounted to a camera housing and used as a video light. I also purchased a Equinox 12" Flexi-Arm for UK Light Cannon HID Light with Head and Housing adapter.

I found the Equinox flex arm, would not stay in position very well due to the weight of the UK Light Cannon. So I had to do some DIY work. I just couldn't see spending $250.00 on Ultralight Arms for a $400.00 camera. So, I simply removed the bungee from the DC 800 Pro strobe arm, and installed it in the 12" loc-line arm from Equinox, and also bought 1/4" pvc from Lowe's and simply slid it inside of the loc-line. I finished it off, with some foam pipe insulation, which also doubles as a nice handle.

So total cost on adding a HID video light to your DC 800? light $200.00, Flex Arm $125.00 and Misc items $10.00.

Finished Product:

3285936338_89384a85b4.jpg

sweet....
What she said. :D

Hope you'll use it soon and load on Vimeo.com to share here soon. You know you can embed Vimeo like Youtube videos here? PM me if you need help with any of the video production, altho I'm guessing you know what you're doing. :thumb:

Sounds interesting. Newbie question: would this type of light be suitable for still photography as well or do you still use your strobe for that?
Also, I have the UK C8 Xenon light already (338 Lumens), would I be able to use that, in place of a HID?

Sounds interesting. Newbie question: would this type of light be suitable for still photography as well or do you still use your strobe for that?
Also, I have the UK C8 Xenon light already (338 Lumens), would I be able to use that, in place of a HID?

I haven't used the set-up yet! I will be back in the water in 2 weeks. I would think the light will also be fine with stills. I will try a few different ways. Using the video light and sea mode, video light and normal, and video light with white balance. When I get some results I will post them.

The UK C8 Xenon probably won't work, and the reason, I think the pistol grip is permanent on the housing. But check, if its not just need the adapter and a arm.

Where did you get the flexi arm from? I like you're design and I happen to have the same equipement and think I'll try your set up, did it work well for the still photos as well?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom