DIY Backplate covers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I sewed some backplate covers for our DGX plates. Cordura, really heavy duty woven elastic, Tex 90 polyester thread, and SS grommets. Why buy when you can make it yourself for twice the price!

Because we don't use STAs, I didn't bother with an integrated pocket. The elastic middle section provides more than enough tension to hold a folded lift bag or SMB between it and the plate.

Main thing I learned: contrast stitching is a terrible idea. It's so hard.

Attachments

• PXL_20230821_223023492.jpg
    PXL_20230821_223023492.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 171
NICE! You should sell those (for half the price) of normal ones.

Great job those look fantastic!

They look good!

What sewing machine did you use?
I am looking at a project with cordura and eva.

Ha. The cheapest Singer I could find at Jo-Ann Fabrics when I was a broke 20 year old. This was more than it strictly wanted to take on, but it worked out okay. What's your project? I've never worked with EVA before.

They look good!

What sewing machine did you use?
I am looking at a project with cordura and eva.
I'm not the OP, but I make my own wings, and have reupholstered a car, with an entry level Singer household sewing machine. A couple layers of Cordura and EVA foam should be no issue for any basic machine, as long as the stack doesn't get too high for the pressor foot (parts of the car upholstery were at the limit!).

Respectfully,

James

@Troglobiont a back pad for a backplate I make.
Never used a sewing machine before, but am generally a quick learner. Have some material picked out, but unsure of the equipment needed.
And at @James79 I have been looking at new and used ones around me...seems to be plenty of 'home use' affordable options around me. I will have to get going on this (will be leaving out color accent stitching though lol)
Thanks!

Not meaning to be critical, because that's a nice job, but what purpose do they serve?

Have you tried it? I have one concern. If you are diving without any suit, the plastic book screws seem to rest against your back, could be uncomfortable? I would think the Halcyon's inifinity design, fold the edge of the pad to the back, so book screws are under the pad maybe more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom