DIY Dry Glove Rings/Gloves for $18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good job guys! 2 questions... can you don the gloves after donning the suit AND do you still have your seals intact to prevent water from entering the suit if a glove gets torn?

Uncle Pug:
Good job guys! 2 questions... can you don the gloves after donning the suit AND do you still have your seals intact to prevent water from entering the suit if a glove gets torn?

Can you don gloves after the suit is on? Yes

Can the seals remain intact to prevent torn glove from flooding suit? Yes

I have Zip seals so I put the ring just at the edge of the wrist seal. No part of the ring is in the suit. So, if the glove failed, I still had my zip seal as a backup which is exactly what I wanted. I even used some 1/8" rubber vaccum hose six inches long (from Pep Boys) to equalize the pressure from the glove to the suit. It all worked great. I just wish I wasn't a cold water wimp.

Richard

PacketSniffer:
Bob: I don't know how you made it with gloves more thin, in water that was more cold, than I had today. I was in 52f for about an hour and 49 minutes. Nice job!

Richard

The fleece gloves I used were thick...Maybe 300 to 400g or so as a guess. I did not go with the wrist bands because the fleece gloves had them built in. I let the DS seal sit on top of the Fleece gloves so the air could move freely.

Also keep in mind that I'm diving a 7mm Neoprene drysiut with latex seals and ~100g polypro underware. The cold never gets to my core or anywhere else for that matter. That may be part of the reason my hands are staying warmer.

PacketSniffer:
I even used some 1/8" rubber vaccum hose six inches long (from Pep Boys) to equalize the pressure from the glove to the suit.
I used to do that with surgical tubing... I had little chunks of it stashed everywhere so I wouldn't forget it.

Of course one day I could only find one... and so went with one glove equalized and one glove not. I found that the glove without the tubing equalized just as well when I flexed my wrist tendons.

I haven't bother with the tubing since.

Uncle Pug:

I chose to "pre-attach" the gloves to my suit before donning. With the fleece gloves on, I just slid my hands up the sleeves and right into the rubber gloves. This left the DS seal resting the upper bands of the inner gloves so the air could flow freely. (no need for straws between the seals) I had no problems getting my other gear on with the "dry gloves" on. Hood, mask, fins, computer were all a snap to don. No way I could do that with my 5mm neo gloves.

When it was time to remove the DS, i just slid my hands / arms out of the DS. The fleece allowed my hands to slide right out of the wrist seal, slick as snot.

Bob_B:
When it was time to remove the DS, i just slid my hands / arms out of the DS. The fleece allowed my hands to slide right out of the wrist seal, slick as snot.

Hmm, I never thought of that one. Cool! I'll have to try that. Thanks!

Richard

PacketSniffer:
I have Zip seals so I put the ring just at the edge of the wrist seal. No part of the ring is in the suit. So, if the glove failed, I still had my zip seal as a backup which is exactly what I wanted. I even used some 1/8" rubber vaccum hose six inches long (from Pep Boys) to equalize the pressure from the glove to the suit. It all worked great. I just wish I wasn't a cold water wimp.

Richard

Cool!. Good job...

Could you please post the picture before attaching the glove? I would like to see how the ring is attached with the zipseal...... Thanks in advance,.

hoosier:
Cool!. Good job...

Could you please post the picture before attaching the glove? I would like to see how the ring is attached with the zipseal...... Thanks in advance,.

Ask and ye shall receive.... :wink:

Richard

My Upcoming Dive Trips
01.06.06 - Comal River (tentative)
01.28.06 - Valhalla ICBM Missle Silo
02.03.06 - Flower Gardens [Hammerhead Migration]
02.16.06 - Florida Chickdiver Event (USS Spiegel Grove, USCG Duane, & more)
02.25.06 - Rescue Class Open Water
??.??.?? - Puget Sound (March?: Ski & Dive trip)

PacketSniffer:
Ask and ye shall receive.... :wink:

Richard,

You Are Rock!

Happy New Year.....

maybe i a little bit slow or i miss some info...

i just don't understand how you attach the pvc tube on your dry suit arm?

i think i need some more explanation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom