DIY Housing goes to 146 metres before failing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul,

A good source of short lengths of thick wall aluminum tubing is old aluminum SCUBA tanks. I made a housing for a camera that has been to 1000 feet in the ocean and 2000 FSW in a test chamber from a 6351 alloy tank that was free.

Yes, good idea. 2000 FSW is pretty impressive. Unfortunately the majority of tanks here in the UK a steel so it rare to see aluminium tanks that have failed a test (or at all) here. Techies use them for deco cylinders as they have better buoyancy characteristics. I might ask around the local test facilities and see if they ever scrap them.

Paul.

Impressive work! I love to see DIY types (like myself) come up with something that works as good or better than the pro's at a fraction the cost. There is obviously some equipment (regulators and valves to name a few) that I would only trust to the pro's, but it is cool to see things outside of that realm perform so well. Hope you are back in the business of welling them soon.

shhhh....don't tell the SCUBA police, but one of my most used regulators is one that I made my self.:D

Please let us all know when you plan on making them again, i would love to have one. They look awesome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom