DIY Razor harness for fun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stano

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My progress on my version of the Razor. I did not do this to save money but to route the webbing slightly different than the Razor and have a little fun with my mill. Nothing wrong with the actual Razor just my own tweak for my own reasons... The site will be updated once I get a chance to dive in the pool and make some adjustments.

Stano

DIY Razor

Here it is. Dove it in the pool last week and I'm pretty happy so far. Tweaking the way the bladder is attached at the bottom.

Stano

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362224575.500591.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362224656.383657.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362224668.867032.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362224688.767157.jpg

Was this on TDS? Can you explain everything you did, and why?

I made this because I really like the shape of the razor bladder. It is IMO the right shape for sidemount. What I didn't like about the full Razor harness was the way the shoulder straps were ran. I also am partial to high seas hardware, I had changed all the d rings on my last harness to that style. The cost of the diy part of the harness was not very much and I was able to create exactly what I wanted. I bought a big roll of webbing from leisure pro. I bought the hardware I needed from dive gear express.

My buddy has a heavy duty sewing machine so we can just about make anything. I have a small milling machine so I even made my own aluminum plates for the webbing at the shoulders.

The butt plate came to be as I found when I had it configured somewhat similar to the actual razor I had a hard time clipping on the tanks to the waist band. I was having a hard time bare handed and I knew right away this would never work with dry gloves. I always dive dry so that setup was not an option for me.

To construct the butt plate I cut a plastic insert out of 2'x4' translucent fluorescent light panels available at Lowes, HD, etc. They are fairly rigid but do not snap when bent. Then I cut out two pieces of cordura, sewed custom made pockets to one side, then sewed the whole thing together. I have made other things with this method and it is easy and costs next to nothing if you have access to a heavy duty sewing machine. My buddies is from Sailrite and I think he has about $1000 into his setup.

I only have one dive on the current configuration in a pool. I am diving it again on Tuesday with my drysuit. I will post some video of that dive. So far so good. I did have to change the way the lower connection of the bladder was attached and I am still tweaking that a bit.

Here's a couple more pics of me wearing it.

Stano

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362280391.115590.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362280482.498767.jpg

That looks great. Could you go into a little more detail on that soft backplate? It seems like a great SMS100 alternative. I'm currently diving an SMS100, but am looking into assembling a custom SM harness or two for fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom