Dizzines during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drivsea:
There are two causes of transient vertigo: uneven pressure or uneven temperature (alternobaric vertigo or caloric vertigo). If that cold N. Atlantic water chills one ear before the other or one ear doesn't clear as well as the other you get the spins. Another cause of the spins is too much viper the night before....

I've had the joy of going through caloric vertigo.

I felt dizzy and nauseated. Had to thumb a dive because of this.

Were you wearing a hood? Both my occurences were when I was diving W/O a hood.

Good luck!

Alex

I was not wearing a hood. But I was diving in 85* water In North Carolina. I'm not sure if there was much of a temp change?
NJWD

I just had it happen to me on Saturday. It happened to me when I did my discover scuba dive before I got certified so I know what was happening. I've heard explanations range from vertigo, = problems, inner ear blockage, to dehydration and fatigue. I think the important thing is to recognize what is happening, get your bearings, relax, and let it pass. If it doesn't pass let your buddy know and head for the surface. In my case, it is always gone w/i 5-10 seconds.

I get it less and less now. I think I learned if I move my head quickly (looking for my buddy, for example) seems to set it off. Move your head slowly and make sure your equipment isn't pressuring your neck and see if that helps.

del_mo:
I get it less and less now. I think I learned if I move my head quickly (looking for my buddy, for example) seems to set it off. Move your head slowly and make sure your equipment isn't pressuring your neck and see if that helps.

You know, now that mention it I think that is what set it off for me last weekend; I had turned around quickly to look for my buddy and wham! I'll have to keep that in mind next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom