Dizziness Under Water - Multiple Ascents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had them without pain, just dizzy, some visual disturbance (room spinning). It's always my right ear equalizing more slowly than my left.

Hi cerich,

What you seem to be describing is alternobaric vertigo, not reverse squeeze, as the latter is pretty much always associated with some, and often very considerable, pain or discomfort.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi cerich,

What you seem to be describing is alternobaric vertigo, not reverse squeeze, as the latter is pretty much always associated with some, and often very considerable, pain or discomfort.

Regards,

DocVikingo

thanks, I have thought of it as a reverse block because it happens on assent.... I stand corrected!:D

I was thinking you were approaching a shallow water blackout ... having done a few myself that's what it sounds like. You'll lose periferral vision and it will start to narrow, feel dizzy and then finally your vision will close the rest of the way and doink you pass out. I've passed out underwater a couple times in training in the military, you won't know you went down and when revived you are dumb founded you're on the surface, cause the last thing you remember is swimming. Sounds like you are hitting the edge to me and then surfacing, which would be pretty easy if you were doing repeated cesa's in close interval.

Shallow water blackout is caused by your level of O2 in your blood falling below the levels needed to sustain conciseness.

The reason you get it on breath hold diving is as you descend you use the O2 but the pressure increases the partial pressure. As you ascend the pressure falls as does the partial pressure in the blood and now the level of O2 levels are below what are needed.

Since CESAs are done in scuba gear i am breathing and depth and breathing on the way up so at no point is the ppO2 in my blood going to fall below the black out threshold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom