DM insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't feel flamed, don't worry. I noticed something very odd about the smilie faces, though. To show you that I didn't feel offended or anything, I attached a winking smilie, then decided I didn't like it, edited the post and replaced it by a normal smilie - only what came out was a combination - a normal smilie that was winking and still said "wink" when I moved the cursor over it.
Let me see if I can do it again: :)

Last edited:
keep the memebership, don't bother with insurance
I am NOT an insurance guru and I do not know about any but the "professional" insurance I carry through the PADI relationship so please take this with those caveats.

My professional insurance policy is a "claims made" policy which means that it covers me for "claims made" during the time the policy is in force (i.e., July 1 through June 30). This is unlike my car insurance, for example, which covers me for incidents that occurred during the time the policy was in force REGARDLESS OF WHEN the claim is made. The difference is that the "claims made" policy has "no tail" whereas my auto liability policy does have "a tail."

IF you have ever acted professionally, then you may well want to either keep your existing policy in force OR, if you have quit, you may well want to buy a "tail policy" which will cover you for claims which may yet occur for actions you did in the past.

Most US jurisdictions have a statute of limitations for torts of 3 years (the exact number will/may vary) from the date of the act -- EXCEPT for minors which is often 1 year after reaching maturity (generally 18). So, for example, you worked with a 10 year old kid and something happened, he'd have 9 years to decide to sue for his "trauma" as a result of corking and blowing his eardrum.

Something you may want to consider before you decide that insurance isn't necessary since you aren't working as a professional any more.

Re the "insta-buddy" issue. Your normal personal liability insurance either from your home owner's or renter's policy, should cover that -- and those policies generally have tails.

But why would you trust me? -- I'm just a figment of your electrons and I didn't stay in a Holidy Inn Express last night!

IMHO, the insurance cost is relatively low and well worth the piece of mind, even if I was to become in-active.

Carrie

How much is yours? Just curious.

I didn't feel flamed, don't worry. I noticed something very odd about the smilie faces, though. To show you that I didn't feel offended or anything, I attached a winking smilie, then decided I didn't like it, edited the post and replaced it by a normal smilie - only what came out was a combination - a normal smilie that was winking and still said "wink" when I moved the cursor over it.
Let me see if I can do it again: :)

:drunks::cheers::drunks:

My professional insurance policy is a "claims made" policy which means that it covers me for "claims made" during the time the policy is in force (i.e., July 1 through June 30).

Now this is getting interesting - I'm sure, though, that doesn't mean if something goes wrong you just quickly take up liability insurance before the claim is made?

IF you have ever acted professionally, then you may well want to either keep your existing policy in force OR, if you have quit, you may well want to buy a "tail policy" which will cover you for claims which may yet occur for actions you did in the past.

No I have never acted as a pro, at least not officially. I have, although, backed up a few dives etc., but as far as I know
a) nothing went wrong on these dives
b) and nobody on the dive except for the dive shop owner even knows my full name, so I guess I'm safe there :D

Re the "insta-buddy" issue. Your normal personal liability insurance either from your home owner's or renter's policy, should cover that -- and those policies generally have tails.

I think this is exactly the point about which I began to have doubts after the info I got from DAN (Europe) - that as a DM I may be seen in a professional relationship with a less experienced buddy (in which case my private liability insurance would probably not cover me?) even if I wasn't being paid or otherwise hired to look after them.

Def. not an insurance guru myself, I didn't even know about this whole "tail" thing...

Be careful! Stating you backed up a couple of dives opens up the door of assumption of care and then you could be held liable.

Back
Top Bottom