DM materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubagirl15:
If you're assisting an instructor in training sessions, the IM helps you be a more effective DM, i.e. one who anticipates the instructor's (and students') needs, and to be that, you must know what it is the instructor is trying to achieve with the students.

Also, your knowing the standards and performance requirements means that if the instructor asks you to help a student one on one, you know what the student is supposed to accomplish.

I don't know what location you're based in (your profile doesn't say), but if your primary role is to lead guided underwater tours, I can see why you'd be puzzled by the need to have an IM. :)

If you read through your PADI DM manual, you'll see that it covers this topic quite extensively.

to pass exam questons you nedd one, ratios and standards etc.

In addition to all of the above, your original question is on the DM exam! I'll chime in with the recommendation to buy a copy during DM training. It just makes everything much easier.

-Grier

So, based on your experience, what is the MUST-Have materials for the exam among these:

PADI Divemaster Crew Pack (Manual & Slates)
PADI Divemaster Video
PADI Discover Scuba SlateThe Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook
Recreational Dive Planner - Table
Recreational Dive Planner – Wheel
PADI Instructor Manual (Digital or Paper)

Diving Knowledge Workbook is a must have. Go through that book to figure out your knowledge gaps, which then will help you focus your studying.

RDP table and wheel are mandatory...you must know how to use it to answer the questions on the RDP exam.

:)

The funny thing is that when I took my DM course, the instructor joked that the only people that buy "the wheel" is Dive Master Candidates!

Actually, I am heard same story. Also, I am told that PADI don't use the Wheel anymore pretty soon. I am not sure how many divers use the wheel these days?

hoosier:
So, based on your experience, what is the MUST-Have materials for the exam among these:

PADI Divemaster Crew Pack (Manual & Slates)
PADI Divemaster Video
PADI Discover Scuba SlateThe Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
PADI Diving Knowledge Workbook
Recreational Dive Planner - Table
Recreational Dive Planner – Wheel
PADI Instructor Manual (Digital or Paper)

I started my studying using the encyclopedia and diving knowledge workbook. The encyclopedia is getting a bit dated (IMO) and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets an overhaul soon, but it does have good info. and the workbook is handy for practice, but when I got myself an instructor manual, physics made more sense. The section on that is (again, IMO) much more clearly explained, and it certainly has the best iformation of ratios. So I'd personally recommend it... the digital version, especially if you're going to travel. Have you seen the size of the paper version! ...need an extra suitcase for that sucker! If you can borrow a wheel, or buy one used off a DM, save yourself a few bucks there... and maybe skip the video too. Slates are handy for scuba reviews, if you plan to do them.... and have fun with the buddy breathing gear exchange... hehe.. I think's that's the instructor's favourite part :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom