DM3.1 and DM5 crashing after restore from BAK file

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snvhunt

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I am having problems getting my dive log back after moving to a new laptop. In DM3.1, I regularly saved BAK files in my dropbox so was not expecting any issues.

I thought I might even have a look at DM5 while I was at it. I restored the BAK file and restarted DM5 but unfortunately upon restart it promptly crashed. I uninstalled DM5 and then installed a copy of DM3.1. I got pretty much the same behavior from DM3.1 with it just hanging upon restart. I thought the BAK file may be corrupt to I tried a number of other files, all with the same outcome.

Has anyone encountered these types of problems before ? I would appreciate any guidance because I have researched extensively and tried everything I can think of.

I have 10 years of log data, across multiple Suunto computers that I cannot get access to and Suunto support don't seem to care enough to even respond. As a long time user of their technology, I have been extremely disappointed at their lack of service and I will be offloading all my Suunto computers and moving on if I cannot get my dive log back.

Cheers.
Scott

if you always have your previous computer :
- DM 3.1 : open DM.ini in the Suunto program installation share. You have a line Database=C:\ProgramData\Suunto\D9.mdb locating the database. Just copy this database on your new computer and check/change this location on it.
- DM 5.0 : the database is located in C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Roaming\Suunto\Suunto DM5\xxxxxxx

restoring a DM3.1 BAK in DM5 ? not sure it's possible.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of d9.mdb that I can copy over.

I need to restore from the bak files.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

checked :
you cannot restore a SDM3.1 backup in DM5, the file format is not the same.
imho, a Suunto backup file is the original file, only renamed
so,
for DM3.1, rename your xxxx.bak to d9.mdb and copy it to the directory, see #2
for DM5.0, rename your xxxx.bak to dm4.db and copy it to the directory, see #2

Thanks for the confirmation re DM5. I had tried renaming the file previously with no success.

Thankfully, I managed to find an old backup of d9.mdb that I have used to largely restore things. Suffice it to say I have now made an entire backup into SDE format now as well.

Hi,
the following should do the trick:
- Download and install DM3.1
- Restore the backup file with DM3
- Export all dives from DM3 to a file
- Import the file to DM5

br Hendrik

Hi,
the following should do the trick:
- Download and install DM3.1
- Restore the backup file with DM3
- Export all dives from DM3 to a file
- Import the file to DM5

br Hendrik
Thanks Henrik.

The issue I was having was having was that the install of DM3.1 was crashing after the restore. It would not start at all.

Thankfully I found a backup copy I could use to restore (almost) everything.

Cheers.
Scott

Back
Top Bottom