Do any computers apart from Suunto show the floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what?

The manual says what it says. If you don't like it you can ignore it, you are responsible for you. So what if the DX manual says the same thing? We weren't talking about that computer the discussion was about the Gekko. It is still a recreational computer.

happy diving:wink:

So what. That same warning is in the DX manual (Page 11). The DX is marketed as a technical dive computer for decompression diving.

But don't use Suunto's CYA warning as the basis for that decision. They put that warning in the manual of products they market for technical decompression diving. That warning means nothing concerning the capabilities or correct use of the computer. It is there for the lawyers.

*I* found the popcorn!

attachment.php

which ones ?

My Petrel has no such warning. Nor does my Dive Rite Nitek Duo or my old He. My Oceanic OC1 has no such warning. My old Oceanic Versa Pro said nothing like that.

Perhaps the Suunto's are unique?

Thank you. That does indeed look like an enhanced version of what I am looking for, although the computer seems rather complicated, expensive, and a little overkill for my purposes.

The computer is quite simple and ideal for deco diving. Whether it's something you can afford is not really something I can answer, but you should read the manual. The "@+5" feature and an understanding of the "GF99" value during ascent would be much more useful for the purpose you're talking about than a simple "floor" depth.

My Petrel has no such warning. Nor does my Dive Rite Nitek Duo or my old He. My Oceanic OC1 has no such warning. My old Oceanic Versa Pro said nothing like that.

Perhaps the Suunto's are unique?
Mares Puck, for sample, page 3 ...
Cressi Leonardo, page 7 or 8 ...

You could try a more 'tech' Suunto such as the helo2 which has a couple of less conservative settings. Install the DM4 or 5 SW and plan a typical series of dives to see how the deco pans out.

Thanks. I see the Helo2 has the "Tech RGBM" algorithm and can be set with 2 negative personal adjustment values unlike other models. I installed and ran DM5 to run some comparisons. Here's the result for a single dive of 25 mins bottom time at 30m:

Suunto-RGBM.png

So on this single dive, the most aggressive P-2 would shave 4 minutes off the dive time. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to plan a repetitive series of future dives in DM5. It's on the 2nd day and beyond that I notice the Gekko is very conservative compared to other brands.

Having read this, I'm not sure I fully trust P-2 for 30-40m diving.

The computer is quite simple and ideal for deco diving. Whether it's something you can afford is not really something I can answer, but you should read the manual. The "@+5" feature and an understanding of the "GF99" value during ascent would be much more useful for the purpose you're talking about than a simple "floor" depth.

Thanks. I am reading the manual and these do seem like great features, along with the tissues bar graph. I've found one in stock in Thailand so I think I'm probably going to splash out and go with this. Might still get a Subgear XP-10 as a backup.

Mares Puck, for sample, page 3

I have a Puck. I read the warning as it supports decompression diving, but the diver should be qualified.

From page 3 of the manual:
"...never take decompression dives with PUCK unless you possess the specific license..." that is the Puck will support decompression dives
"RESPONSIBLE DIVING PRACTICES... After any decompression stops, ascend very slowly to the surface." again the puck must support decompression dives if they are stating practices for after those dives.

That appears to be the facts.

Thanks. I see the Helo2 has the "Tech RGBM" algorithm and can be set with 2 negative personal adjustment values unlike other models. I installed and ran DM5 to run some comparisons. Here's the result for a single dive of 25 mins bottom time at 30m:

View attachment 197289

So on this single dive, the most aggressive P-2 would shave 4 minutes off the dive time. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to plan a repetitive series of future dives in DM5. It's on the 2nd day and beyond that I notice the Gekko is very conservative compared to other brands.

Having read this, I'm not sure I fully trust P-2 for 30-40m diving.
my OSTC, Bulhmann on air, set to saturation 110% (faster), desaturation 85% (slower) says 7 min of decompression stop à 4 m, and that's safe.

Helo2 P-2 settings are more conservative than Buhlmann.

Back
Top Bottom