Do I have a problem? Tell me if there's a problem. =-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I signed up with a local dive shop for PADI OWC in November. My husband was certified at the same shop, but by different instructors. My experience was a little different than his; I think there are some significant deficiencies, but wanted to lay it out there and get some feedback. I can be a real Type A person and as I have designed and implement training for a living, I can also have strong opinions about methods. :) Okay, enough disclaimers.

Classroom and pool time went went. No sig problems.

A pet peeve was that often serious basic questions by students were answered in a round about way with a long and dramatic dive story from the instructors... and one of the experienced divers hanging around would actually provide the factual answer a factual instructional style answer. :blinking: But hey, it's a laid back group, the shop is like a clubhouse, etc.

My instructor told me from early on that he was going to put me into a dry suit for the certification dives (which occur off the Pacific Northwest coast... cold in November/December!). I didn't ask why -- it sounded like a great opportunity to learn something new! I'm a big girl, hardy and not afraid of a little cold. :D

I was given the dry suit when I came in to gear up for the open water dive weekend. I assumed I'd get a primer; had been expecting a pool session, but started to get the hint I might not get anything. So I boned up on my own by reading all I could on the web the night before. (They require you take a one session course before renting them, I think, so I assumed I'd get the equivalent.)

The weekend of the certification dives, it was COLD (air temps in the high 20's, low 30's), the water was COLD (high 30's to mid 40's) and the visibility was very limited (1ft to zero at one site, 3ft at another for most of the drives). I gave it a go. Liked the dry suit, but had an issue with the constriction (suit wasn't a good fit, the hood I had was too tight around the neck--another thing I'd mentioned but was told, "No, it's fine."). As you can imagine, buoyancy was a challange.

Adding up the lack of visibility, the constriction of the suit which contributed to lack of mobility, the inability to feel my gear through thick gloves, coupled with the inability to comfortably control trim/buoyancy left me feeling REALLY inadequate, unsure of my abilities beyond what I felt was usual--and even unsure if I'd be able to see my DM if I had trouble! That felt like one too many issues to me. I think one or two of those things together I could have handled, but with all of them in play... I gave it a go, and did have one nice exploration dive. But I had some problems, too, including a loss of air at 25 ft on a subsequent dive (probably my fault, but I had been doing surface skills and breathing fine, and was breathing fine on descent, then... regulator cut down to the flow of a coffee straw at best, and upon surfacing [after I semi-freaked out] we found the valve on the tank was almost closed).

I fell a dive and a skill or two short of getting the OWC, but will finish that up on my tropical trip next month before a week of diving in crystal clear water with a few things on as possible. :D And I'll return to the cold waters of the PNW in good time as well. My goal is to become a skilled diver... regardless of how long that takes me. =-)

On the one hand, I learned A LOT due to the challenges; but on the other I have a nagging feeling that the instruction was significant lacking. It nags at me to the point that I wonder if I should say something and, if I do, what is the best way to do so? My goal would be to constructively contribute to an improvement so as to save future students from worry, trouble or even outright danger, but who am I to go up to an instructor who has thousands of dives and hundreds of classes under his belt and say he's not god?

Does this experience sound normal, or usual, or out of whack?

Sounds like a fairly normal experience. That doen't mean it's good (it's not) but it is unfortunately pretty common. IMO you should have gotten at least one pool session with the drysuit at the minimum. Diving with your tank valve almost closed is presumambly a sign of a poor or missing buddy check which your DM or instructor should have caught. On the other hand for whatever reason your instructor did not hand you a C card so I guess it would be unfair to pile on him or her for the results of an unfinished class. The single most important thing you can do to improve your skills is to find buddies that have more experience and are willing to show you the ropes. If you are in the Seattle area I'm sure TsandM will be chiming in shortly to offer to dive with you. If she does take her up on it. She is a great diver and metor. Finally I organize a local dive in Mukilteo (north of Seattle) every week and would be happy to have you and your husband join us for some dives. There are a few comprehensive very good OW courses taught but the majority of them is more like what you experienced.

In many ways, it doesn't sound very different from my OW experience (see the journal in my sig line). I did my OW dives in a dry suit as well, only instead of being tight, mine leaked. I DID get an orientation session in the pool. My OW dives had similarly poor visibility (which is beyond anyone's control, and rarely good in the PNW) and cold water, but thank goodness, the air wasn't quite so cold.

It is worth sticking it out. There is FABULOUS diving in the PNW. The right exposure protection, and a lot of practice, allows you to do some really breathtaking dives.

It does seem to me that putting a new OW student into a dry suit for their first open water dive, with no instruction at all on it's operation, and no in water training, was certainly not top quality instruction. Even basic equipment like BCD, valves, weights, etc, are covered in detail , and skills monitored in a confined water situation, long before a new diver enters the open water.

I am not a dry suit diver, or an instructor, but my 2 dives with a dry suit were closely monitored, to prevent any problems. And I am far from a new OW diver, just beginning to contol bouyancy, etc. Sounds like you did a lot better than one might have expected, IN SPITE of your instructor?

Enjoy your warm water cert dives! After your first experiences it will be like being in heaven!

Okay, I'll keep my mouth shut about it all. :coffee: On day 2, another instructor diving at that same hole came over, asked me how I was, and very demurely said he wouldn't have put me into the drysuit w/o a pool class; he didn't trash talk the other instructor, just was checking on me and sort of patted me on the back and said if I could even attempt to dive with all those things going on, I would be fine. So it's all good. =-)

you should look into getting a BP/W.................:)

From reading (which I've been doing on here since mid-class), I know that means (I think) backplate w/ wings, but I have no idea in hell what that actually is. =-)

Thanks for the replies, and I will take up the locals on dives in the future. I'm looking forward to having a week in January to practice my nearly certified skills at both my own speed w/ just a buddy and I poking around from shore, but also within groups on boat dives.

I would make sure that the shop owner/Head person gets your feedback and you should be able to finish your course. I am not a scuba instructor but, I am an instructor and you paid for a course to become certified. I don't think you can drag it out forever but if it takes an extra 2 dives they should expect that. From what they tell me they don't make any money teaching anyway. They do stand to loose you as a customer though.

The also should have given some basic drysuit instruction.

As for the air valve. Your instructor missed the boat. My instructor made us gear up as buddy teams and watched as we did our checks (he then double checked our air). No C-card you were not really qualified to do this yet anyway.

Oh hey Welcome to Scubaboard!!

Just my opinion.

As was said that was unfortunately an all too common occurrence. And it was not right. There is no excuse for that kind of instruction short of laziness and greed. I do not mince words or try to gloss over inadequacies when it comes to training. A poorly fitting drysuit, a new diver, those kind of conditions, and a hood that could have contributed to a blackout by restricting the flow of blood to the brain resulting in the carotid sinus reflex was downright reckless and irresponsible. IF that sounds harsh too bad. It was a bad decision to even allow a student in the water under those conditions. It is also clear that you obviously did not have an assigned buddy who would have done a proper buddy check and discovered the valve issue. I would not accept such conditions. That they actually exist and are allowed to go on is why the time will come and someone will end up getting hurt. Then the thread will be why didn't someone do something about it. The answer is that the chance was there to actually do something but no one did.

I commend you on getting as far as you did under the circumstances you had with the freezing top side conditions, ice cold water, and low to zero viz. Not many people would have made it at all.
It sounds to me like you slipped through the cracks somewhat on the training (not your fault)
I would go to the shop and demand that you get a drysuit course since they insisted you wear one and an opportunity to make up the extra skills dives during their next open water class. I think your instructor was not thorough and you were shorted. How many DM's did he have helping?
When I was doing DM internships we made sure people had as much help as it took to get them comfortable and get them to do their skills. It didn't matter if we were out there all day, we did it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom