Do I need a STA with a Hollis ss plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The differences between STA and STAless is probably not in water performance, but rather handling on top side and fit.

If you switch plate between setups often, ie. in your case, switching the same wing between SS and AL plate often, or for some others, using the same plate between single and double, then STA is more convenient. You don't have to undo/rethread cam bands.

STA also make the tank further away from your back. Some people don't like it. Some people want their tank as close to their body as possible for lower profile and more centric center of gravity. Myself on the other hand, prefer tank further away from my back, so that my head don't bump into the first stage.

I started out with DiveRite plate (very flat) and Oxcheq wing without STA, then moved to H plate (deeper band) with STA. I don't notice differences in stablility at all.

I've dived my Hollis with an without an STA and don't notice any difference. Only difference is I have to add 2 lbs of weight to account for the "missing" STA. I'm a little lost on how the use of an STA makes donning easier - unless you meant putting the BC on the tank vs. putting the BC on yourself.

Donning was the incorrect word, sorry, eelnoraa answers your question though.

Perhaps it was just me, but I noticed a difference in stability.

Try it and see. I dive a Hollis SS plate with a Hollis donut wing. Both have slots for straps and I started out diving it STAless but the tank would wobble and rock back and forth. Added a STA (Highland) and it's very solid.

I have the same wing and BP without a STA. I don't really see a need for a STA, the tank was very stable.

Remember you are alining your tank against two plastic or SS screws which can cause the tank to wobble against the screws even if your cam bands are super tight. Works ok with smaller tanks Aluminum 80's or such, but when you go up to larger tanks or heavy tanks you will probably notice a difference. I refused to use a STA for years, but when placing the plate on the tank it lines up instantly, with screws you are always pushing the bottom of the wing to one side or the other. Oxycheq makes a very light SS STA, some SS STA.s can be very heavy. Hope that helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom