Do I need insurance for AOWD dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmb

Registered
Reaction score
Which insurance should cover costs of diving accidents during AOWD dives?
Should it be the diver's or instructor's (or dive shop)?
Apparently, during these AOWD dives the diver is going beyond he/she was trained to do in OWD certification.

TIA

If you are diving you need insurance. Pick one, any one. DAN, DiveAssure, etc but pick one and purchase it.

Do you need diver insurance? No. Insurance is like a safety net. You may never need it, but all it takes is one accident to make it worthwhile. I was also told by someone that your personal insurance (such as mine from work) may not cover activities that may be deemed dangerous.

Also - some of the insurance include extra perk like trip cancellation, equipment theft or damage, and so on.

Personally - I would get insurance.

Minh

Plus, I think you'll find you will be signing a waiver with the dive shop holding them NOT responsible for anything that happens to you....regardless. Their insurance covers THEM, not you.

Short answer- YES Long Answer- HELL YES

Never Dive without insurance....I recommend DAN...

The only dives I ever did uninsured were my OWD dives because I didn't learn about dive insurance until the class. I got DAN right after I finished.

I think the OP may be thinking that insurance is included with the fees for AOWD. I doubt it. Also, getting AOWD is just more training. Hopefully, this will help make it less likely you will accident, but it is always possible. Accidents happend for many reasons and many highly trained divers have accidents every year.

The insurance is fairly cheap and well worth it.

Is having the help I need, when I need it, where I need it worth $100 a year?

I've been insured since before my OW certification dives.

Rachel

pupdiver:
The only dives I ever did uninsured were my OWD dives because I didn't learn about dive insurance until the class. I got DAN right after I finished.

The insurance is fairly cheap and well worth it.

I agree completely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom