Do I really need a car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have booked a small car with AB Car rental for my May visit to Bonaire but am now wondering whether I really need it. I have booked a dive package with VIP Divers and assume that they will take me to various dive sites in their vehicle. The only reason I would need the car are:

1. To go to restaurants etc - I will be staying at Blachi Koko Apartments. Is that far enough away from amenities to need a car?
2. To drive to the east Coast for my 2 dives with East Coast Divers. - I could take a taxi instead.
3. To do some shopping and sightseeing on the last afternoon - I don't suppose there is much of that in Bonaire?

Therefore, should I keep the car booking or cancel it?

Our first trip there we did not get a car or truck. I don't know where the apartments are that you are staying but unless you are very near downtown assume it is too far to walk. Away from town the distances get long and the heat is high for those of us from northern climes. You can likely get by with a taxi.

We always get a truck now as we do our own thing diving wise.

You will want a vehicle but NOT at car, most of the dive site parking areas are large coral and stone areas which are not suited at all for cars- not enough ground clearance. Small pick up trucks are the norm for divers on Bonaire, I highly recommend you choose one instead of a car. Taxis are not likely a good choice...not too sure how they would feel about wet divers and gear in the cab plus you have no idea of the exact times you will need them. I would not assume VIP Divers will transport you, I would suggest you contact them and make sure. Looking at a map, the appartments are around a mile + from down town and most restaurants but the restaurants are somewhat spread out so unless you know exactly where they are, you will have to hunt around for them, again a lot easier with a vehicle.

I would definitely rent a vehicle if within your budget.
There is someof sightseeing to do. Not great shopping but there is some.

Donkey Sanctuary, Washington Park, East Side, Slave Huts, Gotomeer, Rincon. All worth a look.
Herman is right. If you are shore diving, a truck would be better.

the apartments appear to be just a couple minute walk south of the divi. so you should be fine to walk to many restautants. although it rains fishes will be a long hike since it is at the far end of town. but you should have lots of choice within a 15 minute walk radius.

a rental truck is a must have if you plan to shore dive. we stay at the divi and dock and boat dive so we have never had a rental vehicle for diving. we walk into town for supper every night.

we sometimes grab a car for a friday trip around the island. lots of things to see to keep you busy for the day. your paper receipt for your marine park tag will get you into washington park at the north end of the island.

You will want a vehicle but NOT at car, most of the dive site parking areas are large coral and stone areas which are not suited at all for cars- not enough ground clearance. Small pick up trucks are the norm for divers on Bonaire, I highly recommend you choose one instead of a car. Taxis are not likely a good choice...not too sure how they would feel about wet divers and gear in the cab plus you have no idea of the exact times you will need them. I would not assume VIP Divers will transport you, I would suggest you contact them and make sure. Looking at a map, the appartments are around a mile + from down town and most restaurants but the restaurants are somewhat spread out so unless you know exactly where they are, you will have to hunt around for them, again a lot easier with a vehicle.

D'accord. I contacted Bas Noij and he said that while VIP could provide their own vehicle for transport, my itinerary would be a lot more flexible if I had my own rental truck. He also confirmed what you said about it being far more convenient for non-diving activities to have a vehicle.

I have therefore contacted AB, explained the situation and requested them to transfer my deposit to a truck.

If you are a party of two, forget the truck and rent a Suzuki Jimny. You'll have room for 2 tanks and dive equipmt, PLUS you'll also have 4 wheel drive (most of the trucks are rear wheel drive). Additionally you'll also be able to park in town which is much more problematic for the trucks.

I will be a party of one not counting the VIP guide.

As I said, I have contacted AB and requested a change from a medium-sized automatic car to a "deluxe" pick-up truck with manual transmission. On their website, the tariff was quoted as $32 a day for both.

AB's terms include picking me-up at the airport on arrival and dropping me to Blachi Koko and return transfer a week later. I am supposed to pick-up the vehicle on the morning after arrival; for the car, they quoted a deposit of $75 (which I paid) and a total fee (adjusted to the deposit and including "their CDW insurance") is $424 for 6 days rental. I expect it will be the same when it is changed to a truck.

My own UK Car Insurance extends the comprehensive cover to most countries (Bonaire included) upon request and at a very nominal top-up.

Does this sound reasonable or am I being ripped off?

I paid $528.90 for two weeks of truck rental in September at budget.... Same price for our February trip..

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom