Do I really need a car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My auto / home owners insurance a small company... It maybe your right about Bonaire not being covered.. But when I talked to my agent about it... She said it was covered... I will check when home.. And you are not being confrontational.... I only know what I've been told... And showed the paper at the budget rental in Bonaire and got the CDW .... And the price is what it is... Saw it on last months bill...

Jim...

I always get the CDW - having basically totaled (one for sure and one almost) two rental cars over the years and well as a couple of other issues.
It has more than paid for itself.

I always buy the CDW as the answers are always all over the place regarding coverage. I have heard that if you have an issue and don't have the coverage you need you may not be let off of the island until you make things right. I don't know if that is true. On second thought, it could be a way to extend your stay! :cool2:

Hintermann,

I just checked the math too, and something does seem high with your quote. I figured about $381 for 6 days with full insurance, I don't know what the "local fee" is. I don't remember that. Doesn't hurt to email them and ask for a breakdown.

Thanks I will. Could it be because they have included airport transfers both ways? Also, that quote was for a mid-size automatic car...while it has the same daily rental rate, maybe the CDW for it is higher.

I will ask AB. They have confirmed the transfer of the deposit to a deluxe truck but said nothing about a drop in the cost. Won't hurt to ask.

Hintermann,

I looked back at my paperwork and the local fee was $10. We were picked up at the airport and taken to the AB lot to get our truck. We returned the truck to their lot and were taken back to the airport. That was included in the rental price. If you have them giving you a ride to your hotel, that indeed could be something different reflected in the price you got.

boat

Oh yeah, I suggest getting gas at the station on Kaya Neerlandia and not at the traffic circle.

You are right about insurance companies not always wanting to pay... But, it all comes down to the company.. My auto insurance covers me also.... It's all up to the adjuster you get... How many claims you have had....

Jim...
Hmmm Is it just possible that whoever gave you this advice doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about? Auto insurance policies in the states use standard ISO forms. There is no US auto insurance company that will pay for damage to a truck or a liability exposure on Bonaire. If you do not believe me, please quote the company name and quote the exact verbiage under "Policy Period and Territory". Standard is U.S., territories and possessions, Puerto Rico and Canada. PERIOD

I don't think you have to rent a car really. For some of the transfers you can easily book a taxi. It is really easy to do online on the service e.g. kiwitaxi.com website. It will always be in time, and you won't have to worry about anything. Very comfortable and convenient, I guess.

It appears that you either don't know much about Bonaire or much about this internet taxi service. (Try to do a dummy booking and you'll see what I mean.)

In any case, my own thread has now become superfluous. Bas Noij said that it would be more convenient to ride around in my truck rather than their limited supply and I agreed. I have changed my rental from the car to a pick-up truck and since we will be using that for all the dive travel plus the other aforementioned activities (that I needed the car for), I no longer feel that the rental is a waste of money.

I have to say at Bamboo Bali they did not offer any additional insurance and that it was all done. It does not cover a stolen battery or tire but so far, so good.

I have to say at Bamboo Bali they did not offer any additional insurance and that it was all done. It does not cover a stolen battery or tire but so far, so good.

CDW insurance is included with truck rental packages, per the "rates" page on their website.

P.S. - I'm having a blast packing our scuba gear and listening to a tropical Pandora station right now. Save some nitrox for me! :D

Back
Top Bottom