Do i really need a Dive Computer for first time in the ocean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of You, thank you so much for all you advices. I learned a lot. There are divers that used dive tables and even Jvalves which is the first time I hear about it. I am sorry if all my questions caused some itchy thoughts. Peace and Thank you all. This site rocks.

Itchy thoughts...I like that expression. Scubaboard is ALL about itchy thoughts.:rofl3: Have fun and safe diving.:)

All of You, thank you so much for all you advices. I learned a lot. There are divers that used dive tables and even Jvalves which is the first time I hear about it. I am sorry if all my questions caused some itchy thoughts. Peace and Thank you all. This site rocks.

Just the statement "today is a sunny day" could start itchy thought on SB! :) I thought the post about 1st time diving and using air faster than getting to an NDL was right on target. Safe diving and do a post on your 1st dive for us if you would.

I find this thread a bit amusing. Seems to me that some of the same folks who talk about being responsible for yourself are saying just blindly trust the DM (and pray I guess that you do not get separated and you do dive the same profile and ....)

Really? Please point to all the posts that said to blindly trust the DM. Which ones said don't use a table or a computer to plan and measure your dives?

Really? Please point to all the posts that said to blindly trust the DM. Which ones said don't use a table or a computer to plan and measure your dives?

<raises hand/> You could read "trust the DM" into mine. If you really really wanted to. It does go on to say "then plan your dive", though, so no for the second part.

Neither the tables, the computer, a gauge and watch are going to save the inattentive diver. Ultimately, the parameters of the dive are going to determine your needs. A couple of dives to 30-40 fsw, on two tanks with a surface interval in between, you probably won't come anything near the NDL. A SPG will be all you need, unless you are really good on gas usage. If there is the possibility of wandering into deep water, or some other way of getting yourself close the NDL having nothing will not be a big help. Diving on the tables will require a depth gauge and watch of some type. A basic depth gauge will be $70 and a watch will start at $25.

A cheap computer that will track Bottom time and depth and where you are relative to the NDL can be had for around $125-150. It will serve you well and fulfill most of your needs. If you stick with diving, it can be your back-up when you buy something more exotic. A basic computer I think is a no-brainer investment. If you are renting to start, I would put it fairly high on the list of things to get early. First so you can learn to use it properly, second, You will know if it works reliably. Knowing my depth and time during a dive adds to the enjoyment of the dive. I can use the data for navigation, and to track turn points and not just for the NDL.

I learned to dive tables and I use tables for planning, but a computer reduces task loading during the dive because it does a lot of stuff for me (Back in the day, I always forgot to set my watch bevel).

I am an old and new diver. I learned with tables in the 80's. I relearned the new tables and a computer. Both are useless if you do not pay attention to your dive plan, depth, air, buddy and group.

Diving is serious fun that can fun serious un-fun results. My opinion is use the tables to plan and the computer to dive. most importantly have fun.

Go get a $5 wrist slate and a cheap watch and some tables and write your dive plan down on your slate on your arm and then use the watch as a timer and follow your planned dive. So no you don't NEED a dive computer - but they are nice for multiple dives in the same day or over the course of a week on a liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom