Do not ever say you are a rescue diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well with the large storms coming maybe no diving this weekend. I am in Bohol atm having good dives.
I don't immediately go an help anyone except my own dive buddy.
If someone does a negative entry they have a tank full of air, no need to go after them. If they pump up their BCD and rush to the surface nothing you can do about it. They probably were not really very deep in the first place.

The divers guide should have been the one taking care of the diver not you. Let people deal with their own problems they are not yours to deal with. Why was the dive aborted over a diver who went in negative and came up positive? lol

. From now on, I am just AOW with a 40 meters clearance.
Padi recommended recreational limit for an OW certified diver is 40m. You don't need to mention deep certificate. lol

Diving with DMs? I don’t do that. The only guided dives I’ve been on have been in caves.

In the Philippines some of the guides are only rescue certified. Many of DM certified most will tell you they are DM certs even if only rescue level. Twice today my dive buddy and I who are similar on air had to cut our dive times short to 75 mins as the guide only had 40 bar when when had 80 bar. Guide was complaining about being cold as he did not wear his wetsuit. Water temp was 31C lol.

In the Philippines some of the guides are only rescue certified. Many of DM certified most will tell you they are DM certs even if only rescue level. Twice today my dive buddy and I who are similar on air had to cut our dive times short to 75 mins as the guide only had 40 bar when when had 80 bar. Guide was complaining about being cold as he did not wear his wetsuit. Water temp was 31C lol.

Geez. Does not inspire confidence in them. Wonder how many are zero to hero.

So what?

Where in the DM certification does it say that a DM must have a certain SAC rate or better? Where does it say that a DM (who may have been doing multiple dives daily for weeks) cannot get cold?

Sure, we want the dive leader to be "better" than us in terms of air consumption, cold tolerance, navigation, etc., but they are human beings.

Geez. Does not inspire confidence in them. Wonder how many are zero to hero.

Very few I'd say. Our guide is quite good has lots of experience. He really follows me and my buddy as we do our own thing and gets to have a fun dive himself not needing to point out every critter on the dive. We are quite capable of finding our own. I found this nice spiny devil scorpion fish and got a few good video's of it.

DEVIL SCORPION FISH.jpg

Heroics are for Hollywood.

The first rule of lifeguarding is the lifeguard does not get injured or killed. That applies to rescue divers as well. You can't save someone if you are the one who ends up in trouble, injured, or dead. A quick surface dive could result in an ear squeeze as you found out. It's better to arrive late than not at all. Descend only as fast as you can comfortably equalize and always save energy for the return swim with a victim, whether that's 100 feet up to the boat or 200 meters from shore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom