Do not listen to AVIS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, they are that good. At least by Caribbean standards anyway. We've stayed at many properties on Bonaire over the years and most have had great house reefs. (The others were just "good".) Along with the typical vast array of Bonairean reef fishes we've also observed turtles, seahorses, frogfish, octopuses, tarpon, sting rays, eagle rays, and even a rare manta ray on the house reef one year.

This video is a few years old now but underwater things are pretty much still the same.

Cliff--my frequent dive "out front"--going for 2 weeks next month--staying at Habitat.

Cliff--my frequent dive "out front"--going for 2 weeks next month--staying at Habitat.
Definitely nothing to complain about there! WOW!

We've found nudis and flat worms in years past in Bonaire, but no luck this year so far. We find all sorts of nudis while diving in Maui, which is why we're looking at somewhere in the Pacific for our next international trip. We can use Hawaii as our jumping off point, and since that's where all of our gear is kept, it makes it that much easier. :)

We're definitely enjoying Bonaire, and have had great encounters with turtles, eagle rays, southern sting rays, many different types of shrimp, a LOT of squid (love them), a seahorse, and more amazing fish behaviors than we can count.

The lionfish aren't any more plentiful than 3 years ago, so they're doing a good job of controlling them on the popular dive sites. There are quite a few places serving lionfish on their menus so that's always a good thing.

I saw this great video of Muck (macro) diving in Blue Heron Bridge by Jonathan Bird of Blue World:

Octos are seasonal and winding down now, but still seen by many divers daily. Jawfish, some with eggs are seen regularly,batfish daily. Recently there has been a juvy green turtle hanging around. Seahorses are always there. Frogfish can be found. Guides like Jeff and Mark at Force E and my wife, the Diva, know where the critters are now. Guides are also available at Pura Vida Divers.

Octos are seasonal and winding down now, but still seen by many divers daily. Jawfish, some with eggs are seen regularly,batfish daily. Recently there has been a juvy green turtle hanging around. Seahorses are always there. Frogfish can be found. Guides like Jeff and Mark at Force E and my wife, the Diva, know where the critters are now. Guides are also available at Pura Vida Divers.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to do the night & morning diving there next year August, including the Goliath grouper spawning in the wrecks off the BHB.

Crossing Bonaire off my list. Plenty of other islands that take tourism seriously. St. Martin stinks as well. Bars on the beach will be empty until a few divers/kayaker/snorkelers show up. Then that little bar will be flooded with morons just waiting for someone to leave a bag and towel on the beach. You can actually chill in the distance and watch their heads turn, then they move in.

I've never seen that before. Like seaguls lining up when the crazy bread lady shows up.

Another "bash Bonaire" thread. Jeese - just don't go.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking forward to do the night & morning diving there next year August, including the Goliath grouper spawning in the wrecks off the BHB.

Just remember the bridge is tide dependent--an early tide today will be 45 minutes to an hour later tomorrow. About every 2 weeks--there will be the possibility of doing morning and night dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom