Do sharks go away in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I now have a drysuit so I was thinking of doing some dives in NC during the colder months. The purpose of these would be to do shark photography. Here is the question: Do sharks stay on the wrecks all through out the winter or do they move to warmer waters? I was told that vis and ocean conditions get so bad that a lot of places stop charters in October. True?

I have heard that November is a great time to shark dive NC for photography. The story is that the pregnant females give birth around November/December, so they are really showing by then. Not sure if this makes them at all aggressive though. November may still be a little warm to require a drysuit. If you do come up with any trips, let me know. Always looking for an excuse to use the drysuit.

The answer is yes and no. The sharks do seem to thin out a bit, but they are around and other species come in during the cooler weather to replace the sandtigers.

Off Hatteras you will not need your dry suit until after mid December and then only on the inshore sites. The deep offshore sites stay fairly warm due to the Gulf Stream and last year I used a 3m till dec and a 7m wet suit in Feb before with comfort. The winter diving is only on the weather and it is rarely on the weekends or the day you have planned to go, so most of the time we do not schedule any dives in advance and pretty much end the charter season in late Nov.

Pain Florida and Texasit's when they show up.

Damned Autocorrect. Not in Florida and Texas, it's when they show up.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom