Do small children belong at exclusive dive resorts? In first Class?

Should small children be at dive resorts? First Class?

• Yes on both counts.

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Yes at the resort, no for first class.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • No kids at the resort - first class = OK

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • No for both locations!

Votes: 35 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falcon99 once bubbled...
Even more, should small kids be in first class?

I'll even comment some on this since I've got flying experience with a little one. My wife breastfeeds our child. My wife and I are built as stocky, wide shoulder people. Regular plane seats are horribly uncomfortable, even before we both put on some soft weight through the duration of her pregnancy (yes, I put it on # for # with her no matter what I did.. by week 28 I gave up!) we had a hard time sitting side by side in the tiny seats of airlines. We can't help it, we're built like dwarves, its mama natures way. When seating such as 1st class is available, you bet your sweet wetsuit we're there! For starters, she can nurse our son without having to stand up at the back of the plane thus waking him up again trying to get back into the seats. We can also sit next to eachother without our shoulders overlaping. Those seats are also easier to get in and out of with a child or small peice of carry on luggage.

Wendy once bubbled...

Just look at some of the whining and crying that adults do on this board.

Well said.

One more point. No one forces any of you to associate with anyone else or to tolerate socially unacceptable behavior.

If you find a person's behavior unacceptable, then bring it to the management's attention or mention it to the offender or their parents. If you're unwilling to do so, or if you want to be free from such problems, then pull out your wallet and pay for the privilege.

I will not let my daughter disrupt someone else's vacation. However, I'm not going to leave her home or stay away from a dive resort just because someone doesn't like kids. So long as she behaves, the burden is on the other person to select, and pay for, their chosen level of isolation.

I can guarantee you that, with enough cash, you can locate an airline, a resort or a restaurant that will cater to your needs.

You have to pay to play. When we wanted a romantic vacation with plenty of diving and no screaming kids, we ponied up the dough to stay at a couples only resort in the Caribbean. Was it cheap, no...was it how we wanted it, yes.

is for all parents of brats to get online. I've seen a hundred or so of these thrashes and NO ONE ever posts, "My child is an insufferable little snot and I ignore his misbehavior while smiling indulgently." Bad parents need the 'net!

Having said that, if you've paid your money, you deserve the best attempt be made for you to have your peace. This applies to everyone regardless of age. What pisses me off is that businesses are incredible loath to enforce standards on children and their parents.

We like to stay at Eden House in Key West. Quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m., or something like that. Now if I come in at midnight and start running amok, my ass is out. But if Precious and Mommy are in the pool at eight a.m., well, she's a CHILD, she's going to make some NOISE. Yes, she is. So it's Mom's job to shush her or hide her until quiet hours are over. Because if I woke Precious during Quiet Hours, all hell would break loose.

Managers and maitre d's are scared pissless of self-righteous parents. I think THAT'S where the resentment of non-parents come in. (Although I've never seen anyone as pissed off as my mommy friend when her hard-saved-for romantic dinner was ruined by someone else's screaming six-year-old.)

Infants need to be coddled and comforted. But if it's old enough to talk, it's old enough to shut up. Be-have or be-somewhere-else, please.

And having said THAT, my parents took my brother and I everywhere by the time we were three. My dad had a hand and knew how to use it, and I don't regret being raised that way one bit.

First class or worst class, if you want an adults only vacation, take a vacation at an adults only resort.

If you have time to gripe about kids on planes, you have too much time on your hands.

I travel our world air system 52-weeks a year. I mainly fly first-class and have small children traveling more often in first-class. But, technology seems to always be ahead of the curve. I have a nice compact pair of Sony Noise-Canceling headphones for my MiniDisc player. I can't even hear the engines let alone a screaming child sitting next to me.

I don't have children and I don't vacation where there are children. It's pretty simple. If disruptive children bother you then take it upon yourself to not vacation near them. There are thousands of resorts (dive or not) around the world that don't allow children. I am surprised by the number of parents that don't want of vacation to themselves. Oh well...

Enjoy your vacation, go somewhere that you will enjoy and do your research first...

Cheers=-)

Don Burke once bubbled...
First class or worst class, if you want an adults only vacation, take a vacation at an adults only resort.

If you have time to gripe about kids on planes, you have too much time on your hands.

Yep, that's us non-parents, nothing but free, free time on our hands. Wheee!

What if we want a consideration-for-and-from-our fellow-humans vacation? You don't wear so much aftershave I can't breathe, I won't scream inanities into my cell phone or let my Newfoundland slobber all over you.

Or is it only mommies and daddies that get a free pass on etiquette?

Don Burke once bubbled...

Piffle. I have no particular interest in an adults-only vacation. I have a great deal of desire for a courteous-people-only vacation.

As to griping, let me know when I can come to your office and kick the back of your chair incessantly, interrupted only by the occasional unexpected scream. I spend nearly as much time in seat 17C as in my office, and it's just as much a workplace.

The general trend of messages is clear -- very few are griping about children on planes (or anywhere else); many are griping about rude and ill-behaved people, who should not be tolerated anywhere.

--Laird

I CHOOSE NOT TO HAVE KIDS, I DON'T WANT THEM SPOILING MY HOLIDAY. WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO TOLERATE OTHER PEOPLES? AS USUAL IT'S THE MINORITY SUFFERING FOR THE MAJORITY.

The general trend of messages is clear -- very few are griping about children on planes (or anywhere else); many are griping about rude and ill-behaved people, who should not be tolerated anywhere.
If you can't control your children and they are rat bastards, they shouldn't get to come on trips with the big people. Bad parents are as common as the kids they corrupt and should be dealt with using a large stick.

Back
Top Bottom