Do techs use torque wrenches to do repairs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do but in point of fact do not recall EVER seeing a scuba store employee use anything much more than pliers and a screw driver or hammer much less a torque wrench or know how to use it.

N

How accurate is a torque wrench? I own 4 torque wrenches with three of them from Snap-on Tools (That is around $700 in torque wrenches). I couldn't tell you if they are within accuracy specs unless I send them out and have them tested. That might get done once in their lifetime.

Many engine/machine/aviation service shops have torque gauges and sometimes they will let you run your wrench on their gauge. However, you can make your own by using a beam (in one foot increments or multiples thereof and a known weight) to at least check top, middle and bottom for small wrenches, large ones it gets kind to be a challenge.

N

Many engine/machine/aviation service shops have torque gauges and sometimes they will let you run your wrench on their gauge. However, you can make your own by using a beam (in one foot increments or multiples thereof and a known weight) to at least check top, middle and bottom for small wrenches, large ones it gets kind to be a challenge.

N
I have access to one and have tested my bigger torque wrenches 3/8" and 1/2" against it. Mine are fairly accurate.

Over tightening is one of the largest problems out there. If a little is good more is better right? Wrong! I pulled a set of spark plugs installed a week ago from another shop and had to get out my long handled ratchet. Waaaay over tightened. Brass on a regulator is not nearly as forgiving.

I watched a boat mechanic install spark plugs in my engine and asked him why he was not using a torque wrench (steel plugs in an aluminum head with a spec of 17 ft-lb)

As a (car) dealer technician I would've changed hundreds of spark plugs in alloy head engines and never used a torque wrench. Nor did any other tech I know of in my 22 years in the automotive industry. Angle torque works

Sure this is a huge "Err on the side of caution", but there is no really safe and accurate way to "GUESS" at the torque settings.

Don't know if you meant to do that - but "semi-quoting" what I wrote out of context put an entirely different spin on my meaning ... ? In the end though it seems we agree.

Angle torque works

Only as long as the crush washer is new ... :wink:

Henrik

Not all spark plugs have crush washers...and angle torque still works for used crush washers, you just need a different angle

We always use torque wrenches when reassembling regs. The step by step manual for each specific reg sits open on the repair bench and every detail is followed to spec, even if we are very familiar with the reg.
Just rebuilt 2 Apeks ATX 200s and a Zeagle FH 6 last night. I can't imagine estimating 45 in/lbs.

I have no problem with angle torque. That is what I use on port plugs and hoses after I used my torque wrench to determine the angles with both new and used o-rings. And if a scuba tech told me he was using angle torque and could explain how and where he found the spec I could go with that. Unfortunately, many scuba techs understand torque only as an emotion.

I have no problem with angle torque. That is what I use on port plugs and hoses after I used my torque wrench to determine the angles with both new and used o-rings

Torque and angle torque are fairly misunderstood concepts... clamping force doesn't apply to all fasteners, not does torque to yield (stretch), which is what angle torque really is - a combination or torque plus angle (not the angle that is required to reach a specific torque, which depends on a lot of variables)

However this probably isn't the place to go into it further. Suffice to say a torque wrench isn't really required for a lot of reg servicing applications, although it may be necessary for some people and/or some applications

We always use torque wrenches when reassembling regs. The step by step manual for each specific reg sits open on the repair bench and every detail is followed to spec, even if we are very familiar with the reg.

Thats exactly how I was taught to service customers regs. Still follow it as a matter of safety for everyone.

. Suffice to say a torque wrench isn't really required for a lot of reg servicing applications, although it may be necessary for some people and/or some applications

For personal equipment maybe, but if a customer trusts you enough to service their gear, it should be done to spec.

Back
Top Bottom