Do the PST LP 104's really weigh 45 Pounds each?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the really sick thing- 8 years ago when I started cave diving I thought a single 95 was heavy. Then I thought double 95's were, then I stepped up to PST 95's, eventually I started diving 104's. I used to think they were the god awful heaviest things on earth, but now.... they seem ..... normal? I carry them in and out of the shop- gives the OW guys a complex! :D

chickdiver once bubbled...
Here's the really sick thing- 8 years ago when I started cave diving I thought a single 95 was heavy. Then I thought double 95's were, then I stepped up to PST 95's, eventually I started diving 104's. I used to think they were the god awful heaviest things on earth, but now.... they seem ..... normal? I carry them in and out of the shop- gives the OW guys a complex! :D

If you don't mind my asking.....

Guys on average tend to "muscle" their tanks around while women using the same gear usually use more "technique". As I get older, I'm trying to learn more technique...

Care to share how you typically carry your doubles?

Turn them on thier sides, slip one forearm through the manifold and wrap it around the shoulder of the tank, warp the other arm around the bottom of the tanks (between them) and "hug" them close to the body.

"hug" them close to the body.
...but you can only carry one set at a time that way unless your arms are really long. :wink:

Just weighed a set of 104s with a 30/30 fill... tanks, manifold, bands & gas = 113#

Turn them on thier sides, slip one forearm through the manifold and wrap it around the shoulder of the tank, warp the other arm around the bottom of the tanks (between them) and "hug" them close to the body.

But Your SHORTER than a set of 104's...How does THAT work?

At 5'3" I am taller than 104's, but just barely!

cwb once bubbled...

If you don't mind my asking.....

Guys on average tend to "muscle" their tanks around while women using the same gear usually use more "technique". As I get older, I'm trying to learn more technique...

One of the best ways I found to carry my tanks is to face the backplate, slip my arms through the shoulder straps and wrap them around the tank, holding it close to my body. Kinda like "wearing" the tanks on your chest instead of your back.

I found that my arms support most of the weight this way, seems less of a strain, and it's easier to squat and lift so you dont have to bend your back.

BTW, I'm using LP112's.

cwb once bubbled...

I, and most folks I know, try to arrange things so we can wear them on our backs to move them. Put them on on the tailgate of the truck, go directly to boat, etc. A lot of people have hand trucks too, Office Depot sells a nice folding one. Those make life easier when your gear includes double 104s, stages, a Gavin, and all your regular gear too. Even so, after a couple days diving big steels my calves get sore.

Chickdiver is incredibly strong to be able to carry hers on her chest like that, quite likely stronger than me! At her size its really nothing short of amazing.

Kind of a funny story that relates to that... All of this, of course, assumes that Chickdiver is who I think she is...

Late last year I was scheduled to go on a multi-day wreck diving trip in the Gulf with a bunch of friends and a few divers I didn't know. While discussing the roster with a friend she said, referring to the Lady I think is Chick, something along the lines of "you'll love her, she carries her 104s like they were 40s". That's impressive! Unfortunately the trip got blown out so I never got to meet her. Pretty sure we have mutual friends though so we'll end up on the same boat eventually.

WW

WW- If the person you were talking to is "LobsterLady", then yes, that's me.:wink:

I'm scheduled for "Barney's birthday bash" as well, maybe that trip will go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom