Do we need to use the butt plate.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slight Thread Hijack:

What is the logic behind the Buttplate anyway? What function does it accomplish?

-- Travis

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I used to use the regular drings and found out I had to much movement of the tanks. The low profile drings made a big difference IMO.

As far as that dring pictured above, if that fits two inch webbing, it looks like it sticks out 3 inches.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Do you have pics of how you attached it? I just have my buttplate threaded through the webbing.

In this picture I used a set of XSScuba pockets with some gommets I installed but I also have taken a 2 inch webbing and fold it in half and put a gommet though both lose ends. Using webbing it allows you to adjust the height of the buttplate and it can be removed in couple of minutes when using AL80 or not need to carry reels. Also, when you don't have the buttplate attached you can attach your can light to the gommets. I do have a SMS50 ordered and I have thoughts about cutting the butt plate off the and reattaching it the same way but OW instructor told me not to modify my gear...:)

utd.jpg

Last edited:
but OW instructor told me not to modify my gear...:)

LOL! Oops. I guess I should have listened to that as well.

Thanks for the pic. I am going to use your folded webbing idea and give it a try. The buttplate being on really does not bother me at all. I don't even notice it is there.

Here is what mine currently looks like

IMG_20120318_185339.jpg

IMG_20120318_185322.jpg

It's simply threaded through the loop.

When I use Al 80's in a class I slip an ankle weight over the bottom of the tank to offset the bouyancy of the tank so that it does not try to push me over face first when we are floating on the surface talking.

I've seen this tail/D ring used by some fellow side mounters who don't like the Square drawer handles

Attachments

• Butt-plate.jpg
    Butt-plate.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 312
What is the logic behind the Buttplate anyway? What function does it accomplish?

It provides an attachment point further down the torso, which generally improves the trim of the tanks. However, with ali tanks... as they empty and become more buoyant, many sidemount divers will switch the coupling to their hip d-rings...as this brings the tanks down and maintains trim.

I've seen this tail/D ring used by some fellow side mounters who don't like the Square drawer handles

I've seen DiveRite 'Offset D-Rings' used for similar purposes - just mounted together, with a ring facing each way.

356.jpg

A full 80 will hang low on a waist D ring.Certainly low enough to drag in silt.

When diving stages I put them on top of my sidemount tanks on the way into a cave (they will be more than half full so hang low) and on the waist D ring on the way out. (when they are starting to float up)

My normal sidemount tanks are 104s. They are heavy but I like that as they stay in the same place throughout a dive. (never float up)

A full 80 will hang low on a waist D ring.Certainly low enough to drag in silt.

It all depends on where the waist d ring is placed, and the length of the leash. My 80's do not have much of a leash. I use bungee to allow slight stretch on what it does have of a leash. It is basically just tied to the worm gear with bungee. The waist drings are just above my centerline when I am horizontal. The tanks lay on my legs. I have a a second set of drings up in front. They get moved there when the tanks start to get floaty.

As far as staging is concerned, I have yet to stage in SM, only backmount. :(

It all depends on where the waist d ring is placed

I can see that. Diving sidemount I have my waist d rings a lot further forward than I do in backmount. ( can't access them when there is a steel sidemount tank in the way)

If I only sidemounted Al80s I'd look into the Razor http://www.gosidemount.com/Razor/razor_harness_2.asp

I can see that. Diving sidemount I have my waist d rings a lot further forward than I do in backmount. ( can't access them when there is a steel sidemount tank in the way)

If I only sidemounted Al80s I'd look into the Razor Steve Bogaerts new Razor Harness 2

Good Point. Like I said, I have yet to try stage diving with SM.

All I currently dive is AL80's, so I use a razor clone harness and the UTD wing. The buttplate has been added so when I get home I can start using steel.

What setup do you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom