Do you beleive in the supernatural?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~~~~~~narcosis~~~~~~

I think it's bad luck to be superstitious... :wink:

Wow, quite interesting stories. Wish I had some of my own to share.
A common thread seems to be old houses or living in areas with histories of death or violence or long periods of human presence?

There's a great house in (Rose Hall) Montego Bay and it's said that if you stay there you can hear her roaming around and the screams of her murdered husbands/lovers. Read the book when I was younger it's a very interesting story.
"The white witch of RoseHall"
http://www.scaryplace.com/Jamaica.html

Another link about the book and colonial taboos at the time. http://www2.univ-reunion.fr/~ageof/text/74c21e88-268.html

I've driven through the property but haven't taken the tour or spent the night there. It would be an interesting to stay just to see if anything weird were to happen.

Jamdiver:
Wow, quite interesting stories. Wish I had some of my own to share.
A common thread seems to be old houses or living in areas with histories of death or violence or long periods of human presence?

There's a great house in (Rose Hall) Montego Bay and it's said that if you stay there you can hear her roaming around and the screams of her murdered husbands/lovers. It's a very interesting story.
http://www.scaryplace.com/Jamaica.html

Another link about the book and colonial taboos at the time. http://www2.univ-reunion.fr/~ageof/text/74c21e88-268.html

they say that memories can be retained in a place as if it was really happening, saw this in discovery channel reg the paranormal.

Ive got a scary encounter for you all....This happened 5 years ago, I was staying with my friend and her brother and father in their old farm house in Cornwall (uk), my parents were away on holiday, this was in january, my friends mother had died in November, so it was fairly recent.The brother had a small crush on me, and was always trying to impress he was 23 at the time I was 17/18 (can´t quite remember). So, as always I helped out around the house, cooking, cleaning etc..really nice family..they used to joke that I reminded them of roberta(the mother).Then one night, my mate and I joked with her big bro, as he asked us to wake him up early the following morning, we had planned to go for a jog at 5 am, so we laughed and said we would wake him up no probs! We got to bed, (we shared a room) and had just dropped off to sleep when I heard a noise in my ear, it sounded like a hiss by the side of my head, I jumped up, and so did my mate, she had heard it too, I asked her what she thought it sounded like and she said inbetween a hiss or the sound of someone blowing a kiss..we were both a little freaked out by this but decided it must of been the wind, we settled back down to sleep...next thing we heard rob (big bro) shout "BOO"!!! and then it went silent, then he said "nat?" (my name). then there was a bang, and thud thud thud down the stairs...about 5 mins after he came into our b´room, he was white as a sheet, and playing with the bottom of his t-shirt. He mouthed the words to my mate " Ive just seen mum" I jumped out of bed, and started to panic!!Apparently, he was sleeping, and felt the prescense of somone, so because we had had a joke with him, earlier on, he presumed it was me, he opened his eyes and shouted BOO to scare me, however the thing didn´t move, he said he couldn´t quite make it out, it was like a sort of shadow, with a light around and thruogh it..he said my name because at first he thought it was me, then he jumped out bed and ran downstairs, as he did so, it dissapeard into the light switch..(wasn´t too sure about that part)..So, we were all very scared, we woke up the father, and he came and told us that he was worried as he had often seen his wife wondering around the house, but she had semed a little annoyed that I was sort of taking over her roll, in the house..I didn´t need any more excuses to get out, I left the following morning, and have never returned! To this day the hairs on my arm stick right up when I tell this story..Sweet dreams scubaboarders!!

3dent:
I think it's bad luck to be superstitious... :wink:

Spoon:
you can beleive in the supernatural yet not be superstitious. there is a difference

Hi Spoon. I was just trying to bring in a little levity with a word play (If your not superstitious, you can't believe in bad luck).
The :wink: was supposed to communicate that. Sorry.

BTW,

Supernatural: Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.

Superstition: A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.

So it hinges on your definition of irrational.

3dent:
Hi Spoon. I was just trying to bring in a little levity with a word play (If your not superstitious, you can't believe in bad luck).
The :wink: was supposed to communicate that. Sorry.

BTW,

Supernatural: Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.

Superstition: A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.

So it hinges on your definition of irrational.

I do believe in the supernatural, but what I call superstitious, others would call supernatural. :)

3dent:
I do believe in the supernatural, but what I call superstitious, others would call supernatural. :)

i think we share the same notion of what is superstitious:). i do not believe in bad luck or the like...btw thanks for putting the definitions of the above words.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom