Do you carry basic safety equipment on dives? If not, why?

Do you carry safety equipment?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of my diving is local lakes, in which case no.

On ocean dives I carry a DAN smb that has a pouch with a mirror, whistle, and glow stick. It's slightly bulky but worth it IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk

My advice would be to remove the stuff from the pouch and store elsewhere. I'ts gonna be easier to launch the marker without the stuff, and it will be easier to store the marker and the other stuff if you separate them. Also, if you lose the marker, you don't want to lose the mirror and whistle, right?

I carry an SMB, small knife whose sheath is permanently attached to my BC, small light (during the day it usefull as a pointer and to illuminate critters in dark places), surgical shears, whistle and very small beacon.

On solo or drift dives, I add a DAN SMB with thumb real.

markm

I have an SMB and a dive light. Some people say whistles can't be heard by boats.

I figure Whistles are easy to carry even if a boat may not hear you. My storm whistle is always attached to my BCD. I remember once we were gearing up when someone got into trouble and started blowing their whistle. They were so far out from shore they would not have been noticed otherwise. They got help because of that whistle. I haven't dive without one since.

Reactions: D_B
Some people say whistles can't be heard by boats.
Weird... is that an absolute rule... or more distance specific? LMAO

It's absolute, actually. Boats can't hear whistles. The crew, on the other hand, might--if you're close enough.
:wink:

It's absolute, actually. Boats can't hear whistles. The crew, on the other hand, might--if you're close enough.
:wink:
:lol: :lol:

My friends tease me - say I carry everything but a ham sandwich. I have an older version of the SeaQuest Diva QD bcd so my pockets are nice and large. So, here's what I carry: SMB, knife, Z cutter, orange dye, mirror, storm whistle, buddy lanyard, strobe, tank light, flashlight, sunscreen stick, dayglo orange cap
I know - overkill right? But it all fits in my pockets and I don't look like a Xmas tree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom