Votes: 19 65.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Don't use O2 bottle

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chickdiver,

I'd also like to see the photos if you wouldn't mind sending them to me. I think they'd make a great impression on a few of the divers I know here who may not take the care and time with their gear that they should. You can e-mail them to me at:

diverberr@hfx.eastlink.ca

Thanks,

See you on the bottom,
Al.

chickdiver:
DO NOT TAKE O2 CLEANING FOR GRANTED. DO NOT TRUST SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT FOR YOU.

First, I'm glad to hear everything turned out OK for you. Up until now, I have O2 cleaned my tanks/valves and my 100% reg. I didn't bother with the 50/50 reg last time but I think now I'm just going to O2 clean everything. Its not that much more work.

Mike

I have everything O2 clean & compatible for all mixes with > 23% O2 personally, but I don't dive with anything > 50% O2. Just my approach based on my industrial experience.

It's really unfortunate to hear of such an incident as this injury! I hope everything turns out OK for you.

BigJetDriver69:
CD,

I am very glad that you recovered, and that you have no lasting effects. I know it could have been very much worse!

If you would, please, could you either post said pics or PM them to me? I would like, with your permission, to use your story to convince "Doubting Thomases" when I teach the subject. Thanks.

BJD

I'll look for them tonight- sorry to take so long getting back with you, I've been out of town.

My solution is also to O2 clean everything- that way I can just graba regoutout of the box and not have to worry....

Also, I don't use enriched O2 mixes if I have used "Grade E" air in the high pressure equipment such as first stage, high pressure hose, and SPG without again rendering O2 clean & compatible. However, if I use Grade J' air I don't have the same concerns. I've made a couple of posts on this board in various categories on this (see threads recently begun by "Deal Me In" in the Tek Talk section).

There are others of highly different opinion - see the tread started by "Mildly Damp" recently in the "regulators" section. I think your photos & story should provide compelling evidence of how little the cost of this practice is in terms of $$$ vs. the potential (not guaranteed to always occur) alternative.

I'm on the same page with the air grades. I'm lucky enough to work for a shop and have the ability to fill and travel with my own gas- I always fill everything with hyperfiltered air.

jaydee197:
Wanted to see how many people do or do not clean their O2 regs.

You probably meant to ask: do you O2 clean your reg?

Not cleaning an O2 reg will kill both you and your reg quite easily.

ScubaRon:
You probably meant to ask: do you O2 clean your reg?

Not cleaning an O2 reg will kill both you and your reg quite easily.

no i meant what i said( clean your o2 reg. ) some do not even though it may be hazardous. I have had others borrow a reg from me they knew was not o2 cleaned and put it on a bottle. But that is for certain what i meant

My buddy and I O2 clean EVERY reg except the dedicated Argon bottle regs. That just gets a regular service.

I have 6 regs, he has at least 12. There are about 16 tanks/valves of various sizes to do as well... We spend a couple winter weekends each year servicing and cleaning the whole pile. This way, no matter what gear we grab, we never have to worry 'is this clean?'

Spare parts get cleaned and vacum sealed as well. Spare hoses, O-rings, 1st stage port filler screws, etc...

Yeah, it's kind of a pain, but it does promote wonderfull peace of mind when dealing with 100% O2...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom