Do you consider yourself an 'Advanced' diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even looking at Diver0001's scale, I'm still not sure how you define any of those categories. My Fundies instructor clearly thinks that anybody who is doing "advanced" diving is doing decompression dives or diving overheads.

But I went down yesterday with a man with thousands of dives in the PNW, under all kinds of conditions, and this man demonstrated a truly Uncle Pug-like joy and freedom underwater. He is absolutely at home there, and we talked after the dive about the milestones that divers achieve. He said an important one is the one where you realize that you're completely okay by yourself down there -- you can handle whatever the dive throws at you.

He doesn't do technical diving at all, but in the kind of diving he DOES, I'd call him an expert. So how do you define this sort of thing, anyway?

TSandM:
Even looking at Diver0001's scale, I'm still not sure how you define any of those categories.

Actually, I wasn't being serious at all about all that. I was hoping it would come across as joking.

The fact is I don't think is *should* be defined, as I said before. For one thing, there are no steps. It's a continuum that changes from day to day, dive to dive, moment to moment. There's no pinning it down no matter how finely grained your scale is. There are too many variables and the context is fluid (literally) and constantly changing.

Perhaps one of the characteristics of being "advanced" is to realise that the whole concept doesn't really exist. What Dvmstr123 sees as "modesty" or :chicken: isn't really.... The fact is, compared to Murphy and Mother Nature, we're *all* at a disadvantage. Every single one of us. Advanced divers are the ones who know this, respect the dangers of a particular dive in context of their own skills and experience and continue to "sharpen the saw" as it were, to keep the balance tilted in favor of surviving a particular dive.

To me it doesn't matter if you're a rec diver with 100 dives in warm water or a WKPP guru. The one who will survive--the "advanced" one--is the one with the right attitude. No matter how deep or shallow, no matter how cold or warm, no matter how easy or challenging. Every dive, even in a swimming pool, needs to be approached with the awareness that Murphy is lurking over your shoulder at every moment. If you don't think this applies to you or that you've somehow won the war against Murphy (which, isn't this the reason people want this label?) then you aren't advanced yet.

The ones who are truly advanced are not chicken or modest. They've just had the cockiness whipped out of them.

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that an "advanced" diver died in a swimming pool on a rebreather....?

R..

I do work in black water and pull vehicles up from under ice.
Blend Tri-mix and have done dives a bit past 200.

I have over 1000 dives and teach....do I feel advanced? Don't know,some people just class me as an accomplished diver.

If I were to take up cave,I would be a beginner, novice,etc.

Ron

Diver0001:
Actually, I wasn't being serious at all about all that. I was hoping it would come across as joking.

The fact is I don't think is *should* be defined, as I said before. For one thing, there are no steps. It's a continuum that changes from day to day, dive to dive, moment to moment. There's no pinning it down no matter how finely grained your scale is. There are too many variables and the context is fluid (literally) and constantly changing.

Perhaps one of the characteristics of being "advanced" is to realise that the whole concept doesn't really exist. What Dvmstr123 sees as "modesty" or :chicken: isn't really.... The fact is, compared to Murphy and Mother Nature, we're *all* at a disadvantage. Every single one of us. Advanced divers are the ones who know this, respect the dangers of a particular dive in context of their own skills and experience and continue to "sharpen the saw" as it were, to keep the balance tilted in favor of surviving a particular dive.

To me it doesn't matter if you're a rec diver with 100 dives in warm water or a WKPP guru. The one who will survive--the "advanced" one--is the one with the right attitude. No matter how deep or shallow, no matter how cold or warm, no matter how easy or challenging. Every dive, even in a swimming pool, needs to be approached with the awareness that Murphy is lurking over your shoulder at every moment. If you don't think this applies to you or that you've somehow won the war against Murphy (which, isn't this the reason people want this label?) then you aren't advanced yet.

The ones who are truly advanced are not chicken or modest. They've just had the cockiness whipped out of them.

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that an "advanced" diver died in a swimming pool on a rebreather....?

R..

Wow! Nicely stated...and true...

ad·vanced (ad-vnst) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

1) Highly developed or complex.

2) Being at a higher level than others: an advanced text in physics.

3)Ahead of the times; progressive: advanced teaching methods.

4)Far along in course or time: an advanced stage of illness; a person of advanced age.

Advanced is merely someone who is "advanced beyond the beginner status" Beginner is obvious. Advanced is Pre-Expert... still lots to learn. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

People certainly don't have a problem calling themselves "expert skiers" - I saw a few today, who shouldn't have been off of the bunny slope... but there they were on black diamonds.

Clear diving desriptions...

Beginner Diver - Open Water Certified w/ little to no experience
Specialty Diver - OW Certfied w/ a couple of basic specialty classes taken
Advanced Diver - OW Certified w/ basic specialties, Rescue and experience in actually diving in a variety of places and conditions
Technical Diver - OW Certfied w/ advanced specialties such as Cave, Deco etc... beyond the recreational standards
Professional Diver - OW Certfied w/ Teaching Credentials
Advanced Professional - OW Certfied w/ Teaching Credentials to Teach new Teachers

You say Potato - I say Patato... You say Tumato and I say Tamato... who cares... can you get back to the boat alive?????? If so, you're doin just fine

TSandM:
an important one is the one where you realize that you're completely okay by yourself down there -- you can handle whatever the dive throws at you.

When you think like that, you become at risk. You must always be aware that something unexpected can happen. You are never completely okay by yourself on a dive. The best example is if you lose conciousness for any reason.

I have a lot of dives, dive often, (100+ a year), and do several different types of diving. Beach and boat, hunting, photography, wreck, night, and deep. Am I advanced? Compared to most people with a dive certification, yes. Compared to most serious divers, no.

I guess I'm a top shelf recreational diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom