Do you dive with an expensive dive watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, anything over 2-3 hundred would upset me in the event of failure. I couldn't imagine flooding a 5-10k Rolex.

Only dive with my $45 Solar G-Shock and the dive computer. Both of them side by side on my right wrist. The G-Shock is rated to 20 Bar (200 meters). I refer to the Casio when doing deco dives because it shows seconds. All it's buttons are manipulable even with 4 mm neoprene gloves. That means I can use it in chronograph mode or countdown mode, or even switch to see the time of the day without stopping countdown or chrono.

With all this, why on earth would I want to dive "in-style" with a multi thousand dollar gizmo on my wrist that will probably do less than the Casio and be more frail.

To each his own but I enjoy using one of my watches on a dive. It's made to dive why would I keep it in the case at home. In the summer this watch is never off my wrist. It gets beat up I take it in for service in the winter and it's all polished up for a new season. Someday I will pass it off to my son and he will dive with it as well.

I must admit the Suunto D9 looks very cool as a back up.

I would be upset even if my G-Shock flooded........

I guess I worry more about the lost, stolen, dropped overboard, tank crushes it......more than flooding............

When we vacation, we are all about a loooowwwww profile........it allows us to relax and have more fun..........

M

Hey Sam308:

I have [many] and use a Casio G-Shock only on my dives. They are nearly indestructible, cheap, low profile, and if something tragic should happen to it, I'd give it a small going away ceremony and then bust out another one in memory and more importantly for serious duty. I wrote this as an opinion for another SB Member asking about dive watches and even though I went link crazy, it said everything I wanted to about G-Shocks (and the video is pretty neat). Get one and be done with it.

On the other hand though, if you had an expensive watch model that had an image associated with diving, such as a Rolex, Tag Heuer, IWC, or Bulgari, I imagine (more likely I'd bet dollars to yummy donuts) that if you had it serviced regularly and according to manufacturer's specifications, it would last longer than you and in a heck of a lot more depth than you could stand! But for me, I would not buy an expensive dive watch for myself and even if I received one, I'd be too worried that I'd wreck it. Let me direct you back to Plan A: A Casio G-Shock. :cool2:

Good luck and I hope this helps.

With kind regards,
Thomas

My dive computer is a dive watch but not quite the $1k+ range.
To have a redundancy I have a second computer. I use an Oceanic Atom 2.0 as my primary and an Atom 1.0 as the redundant computer. This gives me air integration and 2 nice looking sports watches. I have taken a Casio G Shock diving without problems and if it was the timing device I had available wouldn't hessitate to do so again.

As others have said, I dive with a Citizen Promaster Aqualand Duplex or a Casio G-Shock Mudman GW-9000A. I prefer the Citizen because it logs the dives (up to 4) and auto-starts the timer, but the casio is hard to beat. I have a Waterborne Safety strap in place of the original band in hopes that both pins won't fail at the same time.

Waterborne Safety Straps reviews and discounts, Innovative Scuba Concepts

my back up watch to my SOL is a Rolex Sea Master. When the Suunto Agua comes out, i'll use that.

Hey Sam,

I have been diving with my Seiko since I bought it in 1976 and I have never had a problem with it. Back then our watch was our computer and to this day I always set my watch prior to going down. I have never had my Seiko flood and I send it in every 3 or 4 years for service and resealing. It cost me about a hunderd bucks but damn I love that watch. This past December my wife bought me the Seiko orange monster as she said my old diver was just to beat up looking (I wear it all the time even in a tux) so now I'm wearing the orange monster. I dive my computer but I back it up with my watch and tables. My original Seiko was $110 bucks in 1976 and the orange monster was about $450 so they are not really expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom