Do you double or single..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
Nice scooter Andrew.:wink: I hope she worked better for you than when I rode her. :D

She, worked quite well when I rode her for two dives. The first was 60 minutes and the second was almost 80 minutes before running out of juice.

Jonathan

boomx5:
Wait a minute...is that Betty? Because the shroud is blue and when I rode her it was black.

You're right. Only part of the scooter was Betty. I can't remeber which part though. I'm not familiar enough with all of Andrew's scooters.

SeaJay,

Thanks.

In reference to the question at hand, I believe the DIR answer is we choose our tanks based on a risk/benefit analsys. Assuming one knows how to dive doubles correctly (and has a balanced rig yadda yadda) the doubles will never hurt you unless there is something like a difficult climb to the dive access point or difficult entry/exit.

My choice usually is made by:
Shore dive shallower than 60' and not in icing season: single
Boat dive, icing season, deeper than 60', wicked easy entry, rather low vis, or for a training dive: doubles

I'll dive a single in warm water down to about 110', but only if conditions are good and the team is on the same page for the rather high rock bottom for this dive.

divemed06:
Just wondering if you DIR divers always or never dive double tanks. Do you always dive doubles, no matter what dive you do (180ft technical wreck or 30ft reef)...Do you only dive singles (you`are DIR but don't need the extra tank) or does it depend on the dive...

Mostly doubles. Even when I'm diving shallow dives.

One reason (let's name it DIR-reason) is that it's better always use the same rig configuration. You will not need to relearn or recall you skills each time you are changing something in you rig.

Another reason for me for diving doubles is that actually the most of my diving experience is daily boat diving in Egypt. Typically two dives for daily trip. It’s just convenient to assemble you stuff before dives and disassemble it on the way back to the harbor. No funny jumping on the deck with tanks between dives.

From another side, guess that it have to be some kind of conditions when it’s better to dive single tank (you are making a shallow dive and you have to swim a lot on the surface before/after dive for some reason) but I’ve never been in such conditions.

mindGrabber:
Mostly doubles. Even when I'm diving shallow dives.

One reason (let's name it DIR-reason) is that it's better always use the same rig configuration. You will not need to relearn or recall you skills each time you are changing something in you rig.

Another reason for me for diving doubles is that actually the most of my diving experience is daily boat diving in Egypt. Typically two dives for daily trip. It’s just convenient to assemble you stuff before dives and disassemble it on the way back to the harbor. No funny jumping on the deck with tanks between dives.

From another side, guess that it have to be some kind of conditions when it’s better to dive single tank (you are making a shallow dive and you have to swim a lot on the surface before/after dive for some reason) but I’ve never been in such conditions.

I only dive doubles these day. But, I'm not sure that it's not-DIR to dive different rigs. Just because you do 250' cave divess with 6 stages bottles and 2 DPVs, that doesn't mean you are going to use that same rig to do a 30' reef dive.

I love how doubles ride, but for small boat dives or a long walks to the water, I'm thinking about getting some singles.

Mabye I am just lazy, but really like to not have to change tanks after every shallow, non decompression dive. That is just my thought.

divemed06:
Just wondering if you DIR divers always or never dive double tanks. Do you always dive doubles, no matter what dive you do (180ft technical wreck or 30ft reef)...Do you only dive singles (you`are DIR but don't need the extra tank) or does it depend on the dive...

I now always dive doubles. (except in the pool). Even if it's training in 15' of water... I don't even own a singles wing anymore.... it's just easier for me as I don't have to switch hoses on my regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom