Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

Do you keep your eyes open when your mask is off under water?

• I close eyes

Votes: 70 29.4%
  • My eyes stay open

Votes: 95 39.9%
  • Depends, I close eyes in certain conditions (eg salt, cold, particles)

Votes: 67 28.2%
  • My mask never comes off and I don’t get water in mask

Votes: 6 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

contacts = no.

I have a hard time breathing through my reg and have to mentally tell myself "in through the mouth...out through the mouth".
My only issue with mask removal is having my freaking eyes closed. I thought I made that clear. I can take my mask of underwater with no issues at all except for having to remember to keep breathing through my mouth. I can swim the entire length of the pool and then some with no mask and make it look like the easiest thing in the world but due to a horrible experience when I got my OW I sometimes have to think about breathing as soon as the mask comes off.
Again, I don't mean to be critical, but if you have to consciously think about continuing to breathe when your mask comes off, I have trouble believing that your eyes being open or shut is your only comfort issue with mask removal. I'm not saying it means you won't be a good DM or anything of the sort... I'm just surprised that someone going for DM wouldn't have beaten this particular skill to death already.

Your right though... I don't know anything about you or your experiences doing this skill in OW class.

Again, I don't mean to be critical, but if you have to consciously think about continuing to breathe when your mask comes off, I have trouble believing that your eyes being open or shut is your only comfort issue with mask removal. I'm not saying it means you won't be a good DM or anything of the sort... I'm just surprised that someone going for DM wouldn't have beaten this particular skill to death already.

Your right though... I don't know anything about you or your experiences doing this skill in OW class.

I understand your point and can't blame you for your concern. I'd be concerned too if I didn't know the entire situation. I just don't do well not being able to see anything except black. I'm just fine in dark or silted out water because I can at least see my hands and computer etc. Close my eyes though and add water in my nose to the equation and OMG! I blacked out on on the way to the surface during my OW checkout dives when I had to do the mask removal and lost it. As a lifeguard of 10+ years never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever be the "victim". It seriously messed with me but I have overcome it (except for not liking darkness with water around my nose)...which I never thought I would. It took me close to a year to get over it. I think I sucked up an entire lake and pool in the process but finally got it. As said before, I have an entire arsenal of ways to do it now and look forward to helping others overcome mask removal issues so they can enjoy diving as much as I have. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom