Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed.
Phlegm in the lungs can increase the risk of AGE, but even with reduced lung efficiency, overall cardiovascular health and bodyfat levels are more influential in SAC rate.

If anything, smokers have a higher tolerance for CO2.

Why would anyone need to get high before a dive? Don't get me wrong, I'll smoke some herb now and then but I can't imagine wanting to miss out on any of my diving due to the stupids, not to mention I probably wouldn't remember half the dive when I surfaced...if I surfaced. To each their own I guess, I hope that guys buddy is at least aware of the joint before dive habit.

Without reading the last 2 years of posts...I'll just say NO, I do not. Forgive me those of you who do, but it's a nasty habit IMO...:shakehead

Said it already but it can really help, for those who want to stop, try Zyban, it won't make the job for you and you have to be aware of the possible heavy side effect, but it helped me so much!
Disclaimer: I'm not a doc or anything like that, get informed, talk to several doc to get a good idea.

Never have, never will.

But I'm not going to judge those that choose too.

I tried zyban once, within two weeks I had broken out in an itchy red rash. Doc said to go off it immediatly, still not smokin...chewing lots of niccorette.

gle:
Wow! I have only been on 10 dives, but on those dives I only met two people that smoked and neither of them were instructors. Fortunately, they were buddied together. So when they ran out of air, 10 minutes before the rest of us, we could stay down.

I smoke, and I can safely say that I am usually the last person to the surface.

Someone also mentioned that "you need your lungs for diving" , well, true as that is, I need them for walking, running, maintaining conciousness and a lot of other things that take place above the surface of the water.

I am curious if there has been any published study as to what effects smoking has on air consumption because I have not observed any difference in smoking or non-smoking divers. Yes, smoking will cause you to have less stamina and might increase your respiratation rate under exerting circumstances but then again, Are'nt smokers bodies accustomed to dealing with less oxygen on a regular basis? Would'nt the human body, being the wonderfully adaptive and self repairing machine it is, learn to make better and more efficient use of the oxygen it does receive therefore negating the difference? Kinda like the difference between people who live on the coast vs. High altitudes?

There are serious disadvantages and consequences to smoking, don't think for one second I endorse it. To those of you who have quit, I applaud you and beg you to tell me your secrets. To the rest of you who don't smoke and love to sit and criticize those of us who do, I will make sure to take the upwind seat next to you on the next charter. Opinions are like religion, you're welcome to have it, but don't try and impose your beliefs on me. If I am interested in your sermons, I'll attend your church.:no

pasley:
What I love most about smokers.
Is it their yellow teeth? No

Is it their ashtray breath? No.

Is it they way 95% of them seem to think the world is their ash tray. When they are walking or driving when the cigarette is done, down on the ground or sand it goes. No. I for one am tired of it. I applaud the cities and county of Los Angeles for outlawing smoking on public beaches. This law was passed in response to the large numbers of butts (cigarette that is) found on the beach.

Is it the way 50% of them smoke up wind (unintentionally I am sure) of me. No. I of course, like many (and growing due to exposure) am allergic to the smoke.

Is it the health benefits to others? No. Cigarette smoke (according to a recent study) doubles your risk for heart attack. This is true even for second hand smoke. Recent study of the effects of second hand smoke used blood levels of chemicals caused in the blood. Using this blood work they established that people exposed to second hand smoke had double the risk for heart attack absent any other risk factors.

Is it the attactive way my dad looked against the white hospital sheets ravaged by cancer and in incredible pain as he died far too young? No.

I understand why my father smoked. When he started they did not know better and the tobacco companies who did know the truth lied to the public and congress in testimony that cigarettes were not addictive or carcinogenic. What lie. But today, the truth is known, and yet people start smoking every day. Why?

and after reading this...i think i'll go grab a smoke :wink:

I've got to say I'm surprised by the results of this poll. It appears that most of the voters are American yet the poll would indicate that among ScubaBoard divers 24% of you smoke.

I think the national average is lower than that. Interesting...

Back
Top Bottom