Do you smoke

Do you smoke? I am talking about any kind of smoke

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer:
My dad was diagnosed with cancer from smoking at the age of 45. It took cancer to get him to quit. Unfortunately, although he was apparently cured that time, 4 years later he was diagnosed with cancer again and died.

That is all I need to know about smoking. :frown:

My farther died of lung cancer at the age of 35, never smoked or drank. On the other hand I have smoked for 45 years and out lived my father by 21 years.

Here's a reason to quit. I have two friends who smoke fairly heavily, a couple who live in the UK, and they're monthly cigaret bill is more than their house mortgage payment.

RichLockyer:
I quit cold turkey after 2-4 packs a day for 20 years and I did not use the patch or gum. It's not like quitting heroin.

QUOTE]

You quit smoking and heroin.

I guess I have finally found the motivation to quit for good. Did it once for 16 yrs and like an idiot picked up again for a few years. Now, this is it. Cold turkey like the first time... no patches, no gum, no nothing. Just imagine all the wine I'll be able to buy with the money I would have blown on cigs :D

pasley:
Is it the way 50% of them smoke up wind (unintentionally I am sure) of me.

You can't blame that on them. There is no downwind -- your healthy non-smoker's lungs are sucking in all the available air... :rofl:

pasley:
Is it the health benefits to others?

Actually, supposedly there is one legitimate medical use of cigarettes. Apparently they help control schizophrenia.

It kind of makes sense to me. I'm a quitter these last few months and sometimes I feel like I'm beside myself... :wink:

I smoke, but I hate it and I keep trying to quit. Ugh...

Ice9:
I smoke, but I hate it and I keep trying to quit. Ugh...
Same here. :light:

I even quit for a week last month and just had to have one. Wasn't having withdrawl symptoms, just felt an overwhelming urge to have a smoke. Very strange.

I keep telling myself, maybe next time. Keep at it, sooner or later you'll suceed, just like I wil.

After suffering through Childhood Asthma (triggered at times by exposure to Second Hand Smoke), I could never understand why Smokers would want to essentially bring a similar condition upon themselves in their later lives (Emphysema, COPD). IMO nicotine addiction is one of the worst Scourges known to Man. . .

Quarrior:
Before any of you non-smokers pops off with a "why don't you just quit" statement, I have tried to quit many times. Everyone around me when I've tried to quit has the wounds to prove it.

Now for the reality of things.

1. All the cancer causing additives are/were government mandated.

2. Congress continues to take huge amounts of money from the tobacco companies and anyone else with deep pockets.

3. Nicotine is known and been proven to be as addictive as Heroine. But there are not any rehab centers to help a person quit smoking like there are for drugs.

4. Smoking is not recognized as an illness therefore no support by employers to let people take the time off for rehab.

5. Non-smokers do not help smokers quit smoking. They hinder the attempt with their constant comments. Leave us alone. When we are able and ready to quit, we will.

6. If you smoke menthols, you need to switch to regulars before you can quit. The menthol is addictive too.

7. Don't fool yourself, there is no such thing as an "ex-smoker." Just a smoker who doesn't actively smoke currently. All it take is one cigarette and you're back on them just like an alocholic or drug addict.

3. I'd like to see the study showing that "nicotine is as addictive as heroin". It not the actual substance that causes the problem, it is the user and the users mindset.

No rehab centers for smokers? I hope you realize that AA meetings, NA meetings, sexaholic meetings, etc., all teach the same thing and are run pretty much the same way. Addiction is addiction. You have a problem with smoking, go to an NA meeting.

7. That isn't really correct. Again, it is all in the user's mind. It appears as if you are under the impression that nicotine is causing the problem. Anyone can stop any drug at any time. It isn't nicotine, it isn't the heroin, it isn't the coke.. it is the user.

Too many people are uneducated as far as addiction is concerned. Take it from someone who has had family members dealing with these problems for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom