Do you use a weight belt or integrated pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an additional tank band with which to attach the additional lead weights needed. I positioned them at the lower end of the tank so as to compensate for the weight of the first stage regulator and at the same time, i could still ditch them in case of an emergency. I use a BP/W by the way.

Wt. Integrated combines two pieces of gear into one, less is better. No more wt. belt.

I use both. Sometimes exclusively integrated, sometimes exclusively weight belt, sometimes both at the same time.

Unfortunately my bcd has really crappy mechanism while ONLY allows me to put in my weights if BCD is fully deflated and ONLY when I am not wearing it. If you ask me... that is a very bad design. On the other hand, however, I can put my weights in before I put my BCD on but only seconds before the dive since it makes tank and bcd tip forward and fall off the bench.

Unfortunately my weight belt digs into my legs every time I climb back on board.

As much as I like idea of integrated weights, I have come to a conclusion that I need to wear enough weight on my belt to be neutrally buoyant if I ever need to take off my bcd so depending on my wetsuit and diving location I try to mix small weights into my belt and heavy ones into my bcd.

As much as I like idea of integrated weights, I have come to a conclusion that I need to wear enough weight on my belt to be neutrally buoyant if I ever need to take off my bcd so depending on my wetsuit and diving location I try to mix small weights into my belt and heavy ones into my bcd.[/QUOTE]

That is a good point. I am kind of leaning towards puting the 16lbs on a rubber weight belt.

I just want to say thank you to all that have replied to this thread, This site and the people on it are a wonderful tool for any diver.

I use integrated weights on my BPW. SS BP+ weighted STA+ halcyon pockets.

IF proper planning and team/buddy procedures are being used, there should not be a need to dump weight. The only scenario I can ever see occurring that you should not be able to overcome with a balanced configuration is a complete failure of the wing, inflator, and first stage regulator in tandem, with a buddy or team mates nowhere to be found.

On the other hand, I LOATHE weight belts. I've had two very near runways because of one. They don't fit me, and they break/slip.

I use integrated weights on my BPW. SS BP+ weighted STA+ halcyon pockets.

IF proper planning and team/buddy procedures are being used, there should not be a need to dump weight. The only scenario I can ever see occurring that you should not be able to overcome with a balanced configuration is a complete failure of the wing, inflator, and first stage regulator in tandem, with a buddy or team mates nowhere to be found.

On the other hand, I LOATHE weight belts. I've had two very near runways because of one. They don't fit me, and they break/slip.

What kind of belts have you had trouble with? Was it possibly a plastic buckle? They are absolute crap in my opinion and slipping can be dangerous.

Non elastic weight belts do NOT work well at all if you do not have hips or a butt to retain the belt. If you tend to be round around the mid-section, a normal weight belt is not going to work well and even though you crank it down to an uncomfortable tighteness, the compression of a thick wetsuit at depth, makes the belt prone to sliding down and off.

However, an elastic belt changes things considerably, because the belt will not slip off if adjusted correctly. There is no need to tighten as you descend and the suit compresses.

I prefer weight integrated setups. When I dived in the Caribbean with a weight belt, it was a pain to deal with as it kept slipping and falling off. Yesterday, I dived in Monterey with a weight integrated setup and it was a lot easier to deal with. So, now its weight integrated into my BCD.

I'm round and had trouble when I first started diving keeping the weight belt up so I said screw it and have always used a weight integrated bc. I have no problem taking off my bc at depth and replacing it. It just takes some practice ( don't let go:). I only dive in the tropics and I always let the boat crew know that I will recompense them for the bother of lifting my kit out of the water (I just had knee replacement surgery so the ladder is insurmountable with kit right now). I ask if they want my weight pockets first but they never do. With the appropriate compensation they are happy to help. I put 2 5's in front pockets and 2 3's in the nonditchable back pockets (16 total). I am currently looking at getting a new bc. Considering Zeagle xpress tech, stiletto or aqua lung dimension.Thanks Dumpster diver for the info about elastic belts. Something I will look into. That would make a non integrated system worth exploring.

I use both a Weight Integrated BCD and the weight belt. I didn't feel comfortable having all my weight in the BC when in a drysuit. I would have about 22-24 lbs between the primary pockets and trim pockets. If the need arose to drop weight my opinion was I would shoot to the surface like a rocket. I bought a web belt made for soft weights to share the load. During the warmer season I have the other problem, I use no weight in a 3/2/2 wetsuit with my steel tanks. If I have a problem then I would ditch the BC if needed. I have noticed that my air movement is a little slower inside the drysuit.

What kind of belts have you had trouble with? Was it possibly a plastic buckle? They are absolute crap in my opinion and slipping can be dangerous.

Non elastic weight belts do NOT work well at all if you do not have hips or a butt to retain the belt. If you tend to be round around the mid-section, a normal weight belt is not going to work well and even though you crank it down to an uncomfortable tighteness, the compression of a thick wetsuit at depth, makes the belt prone to sliding down and off.

However, an elastic belt changes things considerably, because the belt will not slip off if adjusted correctly. There is no need to tighten as you descend and the suit compresses.

Totally agree, when traveling I always take my own weight belt as many operators in SEA seem to use weight belts with plastic buckles, not sure why given the prices are not outrageously different.i.e around $4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom