Do you use a weight belt or integrated pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost a weight belt with a plastic buckle once . . . it's the only time I've ever come anywhere near that, and luckily, I was at the surface when it came loose. Switching to good quality metal buckles solved the problem. But a few months ago, Dumpster Diver, who had been trying to convince me of the utility of the rubber weight belt he's talking about, just up and sent me one.

He's right. They're fabulous. They're much less "slippy" than nylon belts, are NOT going to come loose, but are really amazingly easy to release when you want to do it. I feel a little embarrassed that it too me so long to be willing to try one.

Waist pockets, tank trim weights, V-weights on doubles. Anything but a weight belt. 1. I wear a TLS350 shell drysuit, which is not only inherently slippery but also has a telescoping torso, which all but eliminates any waist contour for a belt. 2. I'm short, so there is no room beneath my backplate for a weight belt. My BP would push the belt down and eventually off.

But I will admit that a weight belt, if you can comfortably wear one, is very easy and convenient. I can do it with a short BP and a wetsuit.

With my 7mm I use the cam band weights 4-5lbs per side. I do not care for a weight belt but will probably have to wear something of that nature when I go dry. The rubber belt looks like it might be an option when I go there.

Integrated. I dive dry with a SS back plate and STA with two trim pockets on lower cam strap. So my my rig can be set from 6 to 22 lbs. Warm water I only need 6 to 8 lbs with my Santi Elite and fourth element drybase . When I dive a little colder I put the 6lb adapter in the STA. I haven't needed more than 18 lbs even when I have the zerotherm and arctic layered under my drysuit. With doubles, just the bp.

I use integrated pockets as I find weight belts really annoying. Due to my waist being noticeably smaller than my hips, I would have to wear a belt really high to keep it from sliding around, but then the BC waist strap is in the way and it would be hard to get the belt off if necessary.

I lost a weight belt with a plastic buckle once . . . it's the only time I've ever come anywhere near that, and luckily, I was at the surface when it came loose. Switching to good quality metal buckles solved the problem. But a few months ago, Dumpster Diver, who had been trying to convince me of the utility of the rubber weight belt he's talking about, just up and sent me one.

He's right. They're fabulous. They're much less "slippy" than nylon belts, are NOT going to come loose, but are really amazingly easy to release when you want to do it. I feel a little embarrassed that it too me so long to be willing to try one.

Thanks!

Greenegg.gif

I received my MAKO rubber weight belt a last week. Slid on 16lbs of hard lead and I'm ready to go. I sold the OMS IQ and bought the HOG 32lb single wing+ Hollis SS BP + Basic harness, Added my steel HP 100, sold the air 2, switched to a 7' primary ( HOG D1 Cold ) Monterey here I come.

dumpster Diver....Thanks agian for the advice on the rubber belt...These belts are SWEEET! As for taking them off quickly...... ...........easy as pie.

Use a weight belt. Integrated looked good so I bought an integrated BC. Three months on I'm selling it. Integrated solves some problems but introduces a heap more.

I received my MAKO rubber weight belt a last week. Slid on 16lbs of hard lead and I'm ready to go. I sold the OMS IQ and bought the HOG 32lb single wing+ Hollis SS BP + Basic harness, Added my steel HP 100, sold the air 2, switched to a 7' primary ( HOG D1 Cold ) Monterey here I come.

dumpster Diver....Thanks agian for the advice on the rubber belt...These belts are SWEEET! As for taking them off quickly...... ...........easy as pie.

WOW never saw this post until today. I would bet that 90% (or 95%) of the people who try a rubber belt will not want to go back to their old nylon belt. It makes a big difference, more so than many people imagine.

The cost is incredibly cheap for something that has the potential to make a diver a lot more comfortable in the water.

So far I've only used integrated weights, but I am coming to believe that splitting weights between BCD and belt is the way to go. The BCD is easier to handle on the boat and if you have to dump weights in an emergency, you can do it in stages as necessary. Finding the right combination will be key, I think. I'll be researching this question during some lake diving this summer. It's clear to me that this is a matter where different people will find different solutions that best fit them, their body type and dive style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom