Dock fees have jumped the shark at the Cozumel Palace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure. I said, "If this idea catches on with others." I doubt that it will fly.
I got that. If all the hotels start doing this if you dive with the op at the hotel you avoid the dock charges. But of course if that happens all the dive ops that who are not attached to a hotel will have a big problem.

And valets to carry your gear to the boat?

I still don't understand charging hotel guests even $3/day to use any part of a property like the dock? A penthouse concierge lounge, sure, but how much to walk on the grass? Public bathrooms?

There's only a charge to use the restrooms if you ate off site.

The hotel has discontinued hotel credits for non-members. The last time we stayed it was a big part of the push to get us to book there, but this time there was no mention of any credits. I believe members do still get credits of some sort.

The hotel has discontinued hotel credits for non-members. The last time we stayed it was a big part of the push to get us to book there, but this time there was no mention of any credits. I believe members do still get credits of some sort.

This is an example of how internet research doesn't always tell the story with what is actually happening on the ground.

There is an old joke I like.

Man walks up to a woman and says "will you sleep with me for $1 million dollars?" "Sure" she says. Then the man says back "Will you sleep with me for $10 dollars?" She replies "No, what kind of woman do you think I am?" The man replies "We have already established that, now we are just negotiating."

The $1 that seemed harmless was bound to skyrocket.

Now we are just negotiating...

Cozumel is definitely getting too greedy and the locals are starting to feel entitled to money. I had a man lay hands on me trying to pull me into his store last May after I silently walked by with my wife. It is starting to be annoying to be downtown.

I believe I was paying $5 for a taxi to the marina from Cozumel Palace every morning when I was staying there in October.

There is an old joke I like.

Man walks up to a woman and says "will you sleep with me for $1 million dollars?" "Sure" she says. Then the man says back "Will you sleep with me for $10 dollars?" She replies "No, what kind of woman do you think I am?" The man replies "We have already established that, now we are just negotiating."

The $1 that seemed harmless was bound to skyrocket.

Now we are just negotiating...

Cozumel is definitely getting too greedy and the locals are starting to feel entitled to money. I had a man lay hands on me trying to pull me into his store last May after I silently walked by with my wife. It is starting to be annoying to be downtown.
Just because one hotel which isn't primarily a dive resort has an on site dive op and is exerting financial pressure on its guests to use it doesn't mean that the whole island is "getting too greedy". I submit that the Palace is an expensive place to stay (too rich for my blood) and that the US$25 isn't as big of a deal to their normal clientele as it would be to me.

As for the laying on of hands, there is a continuum from a light touch on the shoulder to what would amount to an assault, so I can't really comment on what happened with you. Normally the barkers on the street don't bother me, but if one of them tried to physically drag me into his shop he would not try it a second time.

I have been to Cozumel many, many times and I will be going again in a couple of months.

If folks what to try to make an impact, for those who have stayed at the Palace or those planning to stay, send a note telling them that as diver the new dock fees are ridiculous and you have decided to stay at other properties rather than pay such fees.

Hi Kimela,

oh nooo, not owners. I looked at the Aquasafari website under accommodations.
I think that website is outdated and no longer reliable. I have a friend who is an owner and can still use credits for diving, but I'd heard that the Palace isn't allowing non-owners to do so. I don't know the 'truth' though - just hearsay.

Back
Top Bottom