Does a BP/Wing setup have a face down problem on the surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shifting from a jacket to a bp/wing, i did notice a slight push forward, but as said by many, this is resolved by inflating and leaning backwards... not a problem at all...

I have a Balance BC (rear inflate) and a Pioneer 36# BP&W. Both, when fully inflated at the surface tend to “fight” a vertical position. They tend to be more stable slightly head forward, fine if the reg or snorkel is in your mouth, or head back, great for resting on the surface (A.K.A. back float). This effect is more prevalent when diving wet than with a drysuit, I think the air in the drysuit tends to compensate. With a little practice, you’ll find the right amount of inflation (not likely fully inflated) to be comfortable.

This takes some getting used to after a jacket style BC where the more air you add the more stable you are at the surface. I don’t spend a lot of time at the surface and it didn’t take long to get used to. So any disadvantage was more than compensated for by the increased performance underwater where I am most of the time and want to stay horizontal.

Another thing to consider is that back inflation BCs make kneeling on the bottom during training more difficult. While many have argued that we shouldn’t be kneeling on the bottom, it is the PADI way; and until it changes new students are likely to have to deal with it. On the other hand, it makes fin pivots much easier.

Mike

I haven't noticed any tendency of my wing to push me face forward when sitting at the surface. However, if I'm swimming face down, then the wing wants to keep me face down. Since I don't use one of those colorful tube thingys, I do surface swims on my back. For resting at the surface, I just kick back, inflate the wing all the way, use my hood for a pillow and lay on the "raft." It's very stable and comfortable.

On the surface, when I'm remaining in an upright position, the wing is inflated enough to keep my chin out of water. I've not experienced any foward push at that level of inflation. When I've inflated further where the chest starts to rise out of the water, then yes, there was some foward push, but it wasn't that much at all.

For swimming, as others have said, I float on my back and kick face up, not face down.

Jackknife once bubbled...
Lots of BC's have this problem, unless you trim your weighting properly. But since a BP is heavier in the tank area (backside), does that help keep you more upright on the surface, or does it even make a difference?

It is probably a matter of trim.

If you have all your weight at your waist, and all your lift at your back, gravity says you are going to be face down in the water, which is really a safety issue, as the majority of diver drownings take place at the surface.

Weighted STA's, thicker plates, trim weights, etc can all help attenuate this issue, without you having to think about it. You really only want enough ditchable weight to be able to swim your rig up should you lose you BC air cell for some reason, so if you have all your weight at your hips, you might want to think about getting more of it up along your spine.

Scott

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom