Does a Dive Light Help in Low Vis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleOne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Our local quarry has on average 10 ft or less visibility. My last experience it had less than six so its a little freaky for a beginner. If I bought/rented a dive light would this help?

depends on the water quality - if there's a lot of "stuff" in the water - just reflects back at you - we have a river here in SC called the Ashepoo - yep, some kinds Native American name - but it's chocolate milk.. carrying a light is just useless baggage. then there's the Edisto ('nother NA name), it's a very clear river with a lot of tannic acid - like diving in coca cola (or pepsi)- at 10 ft or deeper, most of the light from the surface is gone. A light is good for picking out details or looking under logs and debris piles. - a hand-held works nicely...never dove a quarry not sure 'bout that but 10 ft of viz, I'm in heaven

If the poor viz is because its night or due to the walls around you and ceiling over your head, yes.

If not, no.

In other words, just like on land.

I find that having a dive light with you when diving is always a good thing, even if it is just a smaller 'backup' one. Useful for picking out smaller things up close when vis is not so great. Also useful as an aid for others to see you.

A light can also be useful in poor vis, even if caused by particulate matter, to help your buddy see where you are.

As others have mentioned it's always best to have a light if only to help a buddy relocate you. Sweeping it in 360 or best guess pattern can make you a lot easier to find. This can be a huge safety aid. Anytime you can avoid a trip to the surface you avoid a lot of risk and it's easier on your body.

As for your diving pleasure it will help you with very near vision in low visibility. If it's actually a low light situation then a light is just the ticket.

In any case I always have on for the above reasons and to look in to crevices and such.

Pete

It might not help you see details farther but, it might help you stay in contact with your partner.

Low viz is is low viz. My experience....a light just makes it worse. Dirt water just reflects the light everywhere. At night--in clean water--you can light up the reef and see perfectly. Good luck

Yes, and the brighter the better.

The stronger the beam the better it cuts through the lowest of viz. We dove Lake Travis looking for a bridge a few weeks ago, and hit 6" viz. My green force flex-II powered tri-star LED was not good enough to cut through it while my dive buddy did better with his dive rite mr11, though he came up complaing that he had crap for vis too. We didn't locate the bridge that time, but we did move to an area with higher viz (8') and again ... his brighter HID allowed him to enjoy his dive a bit more than I enjoyed mine ... backscatter and all. Add in that the lower the viz and the stronger your beam the easier it is for your bud to find ya.

Back scatter getting lit up doesn't reduce the benefits of the stronger beam punching a hole through the muck. It's not even close. At ten feet away a dimmer beam gets consumed by the muck, while a stronger beam reflects and glows with a stronger intensity helping you to be seen.

I wonder about the light colors put out by other types of bulbs though ... that may be what causes some folks to have a different experience. I'm only using LED and HID lights.

When the viz gets too bad nothing will help you see. On that bridge dive I literally swam head on into a tree stump. I just couldn't see the thing. It only took that little bit to lose the three other divers I was with. I was at 85' with no viz alone. I relished in it and just hung out for a few minutes working on my buoyancy as I did my 360's looking for my bud's and then up I went. Again working skills, watching my gauges, doing my stops, ... it was very reassuring to feel like I was at home there. If you're a newish diver then spend the money on a strong can light and keep it fully charged. If you dive lakes with low viz then sooner or later you too will lose your bud at 80' with low viz. The experience will test your mental and emotional qualifications to be in the deep end of the pool ... :wink: ... and the stronger light might get you found faster.

I have to go with the majority of posts on this one. A bright light will not let you see further, but it will help your buddy find where you are when you get separated.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom