Does anyone carry back up SPG / computer or any other gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool! Thanks for the feedback, dirfarmer! A dive master of Mermaid liveaboard, when I took it from Bali to Komodo roundtrip cruise back in August 2014, said that November is the right time to go for Ambon-Sorong crossing trip.

It's the right time, it's hammertime. Hammerhead shark time that is.
Which Mermaid/divemaster? I've been on the MM2 Komodo trips 2x, and the guide I had was one of the most incredible spotters I've had the pleasure to dive with.

MM2 DM name is Dolphin Mcair. He quit from MM 2 in January this year. I met him again in Sorong after doing the Ultimate Raja Ampat trip. He is now freelancing from Manado. I'm hiring him as a DM for my next year trip.

He is also incredible critter finder. He spotted tiger shrimp & juvenile bamboo shark for me. He also told me about the hammerhead season in Banda sea. That is one of the reasons I'm hiring him. He's going to spot the dive site for the school of hammerhead sharks.

Last edited:
MM2 DM name is Dolphin Mcair. He quit from MM 2 in January this year. I met him again in Sorong after doing the Ultimate Raja Ampat trip. He is now freelancing from Manado. I'm hiring him as a DM for my next year trip.

He is also incredible critter finder. He spotted tiger shrimp & juvenile bamboo shark for me. He also told me about the hammerhead season in Banda sea. That is one of the reasons I'm hiring him. He's going to spot the dive site for the school of hammerhead sharks.

Dolphin wasn't my guide but he's a funny guy.
Funny thing you mention ultimate Raja trip. After the banda sea trip I did another 10 day Raja trip. I figured as long as I was going all that way I'd splurge.
Which boat are you going to charter?

Ya the Ultimate Raja Ampat trip was with La Galigo from December 22, 2015 to January 2, 2016. That was a blast of a trip. I like the boat & went ahead to charter it for the 13-day November 2017 Ambon-Sorong trip.

The trip is almost booked. We just need to fill out 1 more spot to share cabin with a male diver. I posted a thread about the trip, here: One space on La Galigo Liveaboard to Banda & Raja Ampat in Nov 2017 with 15% discount

In 6 years/750 dives, the transmitter for my Oceanic VT3 has been unlinked for 30 seconds or less maybe 10-15 times. I'm generally unaware of these episodes, they are all recorded in the downloaded dive profile. I have a SPG, have never needed it
I had an Aeris A300 CS Oled. In 40 dives over one month. I experienced the same number of unlink a as you, plus had it completely fail, requiring it being sent back for replacement.
You got luckier than I did. Never hurts to bring a backup as we both do. I rather have it and never look at it than it be missing.

Dolphin wasn't my guide but he's a funny guy.
Funny thing you mention ultimate Raja trip. After the banda sea trip I did another 10 day Raja trip. I figured as long as I was going all that way I'd splurge.
Which boat are you going to charter?

I checked my logbook, it was Mermaid I, not 2, but MM2 always not too far away from MM1, sometime has shorter trip. That's what I like about Mermaid Liveaboard. If one boat has problem, the other one would come & help. Right after my last trip, there was a liveaboard (not any of MM) ran a ground in the Lombok strait & sunk, MM 1 happened to be nearby & rescued some of the people from the boat.

The other DMs were Celso, Nico & Sugi. Any of them rings your bell?

I always like the Komodo trip. I have been there 3 times. Also the Raja Ampat. The RA trip next year will be my 6th time.

Back to the topic, Eversince I bit off my 2nd stage mouthpiece due to one of the Liveaboard tank refill operator mounted my regulator upside down, I now carry spare mouthpiece & tie wraps.

Last edited:
I now also carry a spare mask.
I carry a spare mask in the Van or suitcase. I don't MOF for the very reason you pointed out. A wave can wipe that mask right off and I often take a mask break as I'm waiting for the boat. Ergo, I hold it with my hand. I have to say, I've even lost a mask that way as well. It's why I carry a spare on shore. That's three masks lost in 47 years of diving. I'm OK with that. :D

As for an SPG, I would rather declutter my kit. Even when I dive wireless integrated, I stick to that and be sure to change batteries on a consistent basis. If one fails, I end my dive. That's only happened once in the last 47 years, so I'm OK with that as well. :D

Spare mask but not carried with me on dive. I have SPG and depth gauge even though i have a dive computer and a wireless transmitter. Would use a backup computer if I ever got another but I only have one now. :(

If I'm diving OC I don't carry a backup mask. CCR I always have a backup mask in my right thigh pocket & backup computer, set a bit more conservative than my wired in computer. I've had a mask annoy me once or twice on a dive and switched masks.

I experienced new mask fogging up underwater to be a nuisance, even though I use baby shampoo to defog the lens & rinse it, prior to jumping into the water. So I "conditioned" both my primary mask & backup mask. "Conditioned" means burn the plastic film off the inside lens with cigaret lighter, rub vigorously several times with toothpaste for 2 days with dishwasher foam and I wear them alternatively for the first year. I dove 50 divers / year in average. It took about 20-25 dives for the lens' inside surface to be conditioned & stay clear for the whole dive. So both of my masks are ready for action without fogging up underwater. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom