Does anyone have real world experience with the newer X1 computer compared to the VR3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate everyone's responses and comments. It appears the VR3 is definitely out based on the feedback.

If the VRx is now out, and you are torn between a X1 and SW, there was a recent thread about that.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/407653-better-oc-trimix-computer.html

I ended up getting an X1 because I liked the smaller size. Like others, I have had issues with battery life. If it is left near wet gear overnight, it won't go into sleep mode, and will drain the battery. If you dry it off and store it separate, the battery would last for several days worth of diving between recharges. Make sure you have a plan to recharge it if necessary.

I have a few friends that dive SW Predators and they absolutely love them.

If you have the opportunity, I would borrow the computers you are interested in and dive them. See which style you like best, and weigh your options from there.

I have an X1 and love it 100%. When I was researching computers, it came down to the Predator or the X1. The X1 had three things that I considered enough to make me purchase it. Screen is so easy to read. Size is untouchable (but may be too small for some people). V-Planner live. I use V-Planner to cut my backup tables and do all my planning. I may as well use the same program during my dive.

I have beat the hell out of my X1 and the only place you can tell it has even been used is where the mount slips over the edge. The Zagg cover is peeling back slightly. It has a few hundred (between 300 and 400) dives on it. Many on and in wrecks. It rode in the bed of my truck for a week clipped to another computer. It looked no worse for wear. Unfortunately, my other computer could not say the same :(

All of that said, I think I am going to add a Shearwater Petrel to the gear bag. I like the features and the size is now acceptable to me.

Shearwater and forget it. There the best, then there is everything else. Customer service is top notch, should you need it (though not likely).

Like others, I have had issues with battery life. If it is left near wet gear overnight, it won't go into sleep mode, and will drain the battery. If you dry it off and store it separate, the battery would last for several days worth of diving between recharges. Make sure you have a plan to recharge it if necessary

I had this problems for a while too, I don't know if you've tried it but if you change the water sensitivity setting from high to low it tends to enter sleep mode much easier . There's little difference in the real water sensitivity once underwater, but it does stop the unit activating in humid environments or very minimal condensation. This may save a bit of battery life as I agree it's often a real pain in the a$$ when you need to specially dry the unit each night :)

I'm a tech diver with certs upto Deco, planning to get Trimix in the future. I finally saved up the cash to get a more appropiate tech computer. I am torn between the Liquivision X1 dive computer and the tried and true VR3. I am looking for opinions on divers using the X1 in real world compared to the VR3 and any recommendations you might have.
I will echo Karl's comments on the X-1. Have been using one since they first came out, and find it incredibly easy to read u/w (and my eyes are by no means young, or strong). I can read my buddy's X-1 from afar when we are doing a deco stop or diving at night. It is also very easy to manipulate u/w. I very much like small size and light weight of the X1 - my one hesitation with the Shearwaters is simply the physical size (but I am probably biased by having been a Nitek He user in the past).

The battery is an issue for some - if you prefer a user-changeable battery, the X1 may not be for you. I don't have a problem with that. As Karl and others have mentioned, it will last for multiple days of diving without being re-charged. But, I have also let mine completely discharge, and reloading the software was not a particular problem.

I have also found Liquivision's customer support - all the way up to the top of the company - to be excellent.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom