Does anyone still believe in "Support Your LDS"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we've had that conversation.

Let's talk hypothetical. Why would they change anything to suit me? I already have all my training and gear and I don't get to take many trips. There's no money in servicing me.

An LDS is looking for the new recruits. The ones that they can sell a full set of top of the line $$$ ScubaPro gear. Get them trained O/W through Master Diver and book a bunch of trips. Then that diver retires after 2.5 years and they are looking for a replacement. Meanwhile I'm looking on Craigslist for their hand me downs.

Call me crazy, but my regular divers are my favorite customers.

I'll take replacing a hose or HP spool on a well used reg set over selling an Aqualung "essentials" package any day.

Or doing seals on a vulcanized suit for one of our many commercial outfits...there's something weirdly fun about it.

Keeping my active divers active though...that's what I like about my job.

Call me crazy, but my regular divers are my favorite customers.

I'll take replacing a hose or HP spool on a well used reg set over selling an Aqualung "essentials" package any day.

Or doing seals on a vulcanized suit for one of our many commercial outfits...there's something weirdly fun about it.

Keeping my active divers active though...that's what I like about my job.

I'm moving there....

My actual LDS looked at me like I had 16 heads when I wanted to buy some bolt snaps and other assorted small items. They tried selling me retractors. However, I went back to them for a hood one day and while one guy was a douche waffle, the other was very nice. They just don't carry the things that suit me. Good shop though.

So the LDS' that I support are farther away. I pretty much buy all my gear from one or two stores in cave country and one in Atlanta. I get fills from a handful of places around cave country.

......a douche waffle,

Hmmm. That must be one of those tech terms I'm not familiar with. Does it come in a douche bag?

Hmmm. That must be one of those tech terms I'm not familiar with. Does it come in a douche bag?

No. It is produced by taking one dough headed dumbass and marinating them in Summers Eve! Lol.

Absolutely... I'd say 80% of my gear purchases come from my LDS. There have been a few instances where either a) they can't get something in time for a trip and didn't have it in stock so I'd turn to another LDS or LP or b) they simply don't carry exactly what I'm looking for.

I try to spend most of my money there if possible. Besides, sometimes their prices are even better than the same item after shipping charges.

And you can't beat the service. I've dived gear to try out, and then purchased a new version of what I rented. They were kind enough to take off the rental fees from the final price. I've never seen another shop have that much loyalty to their customers.

And you can't beat the service. I've dived gear to try out, and then purchased a new version of what I rented. They were kind enough to take off the rental fees from the final price. I've never seen another shop have that much loyalty to their customers.

My LDS does that with their dry suits. I would certainly go there for one if they stocked the brands I was interested in.

Yes I do. My LDS are great owners along with a great core of friends/divers. My Hollis semi dry suit is the only new item they have not been able to order for me as they are not a Hollis dealer. Sure, they do cater to the new OW divers with packages but they are a business and must make money. In addition to having what I want, from my Dive Rite cave setup to my OW, let's go jump in some warm water, stuff....it is a great place to hang out with friends. And yes, they sell to regulars at prices less than online....my place to spend.....I mean look:wink:

Yes. I know I could save a few bucks, but it would cost me much more to drive an extra 10 miles or more to the next shop and I don't like the lines they carry. I am not a charity and I work to get some discounts, but I'm also not penny wise and pound foolish either. I also find it nice to have a 'regular' group to dive with when my regular buddy isn't available. It's a relationship.

I have a couple of LDS that I like that I give repeat business to (got to get air someplace). There is also a dive operation I have had a number of dives on (over 80) that I have bought some stuff from. I firmly believe in cultivating quality business/personal relationships. Especially if you suddenly need a quick repair or air fill or really want to go diving and the dive op works you in on a charter if at all possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom