Does anyone still believe in "Support Your LDS"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped using one LDS because they kept telling me that they were losing money on every tank I filled with them......With all the tanks I fill(@ $10 per fill) I didn't want to put them out of business.

I started going to a different LDS that doesn't complain about losing money filling my tanks ($5.50 per fill with air card any size tank.....go figure).

It is routine and doing a job correctly and completely. If being charged $15. for a complete and correct visual on a tank-eddy test required or not- with new o rings,cristolube and cleaning exterior of valve and that also includes an air fill at no additional charge is too much for your wallet I suggest getting into a different activity.
Figure labor for the few minutes at $5...materials/expenses at $3...airfill for an 80 tank $7...there you go total is $15. Have a bigger tank/high pressure tank..its the same total of $15.

$20 seems to be a more common price around here but let's do the accounting. $7 for the fill is fine. An O-ring and a dab of Christolube is well under $1 worth of material even if you add in the paper towel used to wipe down the valve threads. And $5 for a few minutes works out to what - over $100 per hour. That must be a very highly trained wiper/christolube swiper. I would add in a few bucks for the tank transportation service to and from the hydro shop (and that could produce the same price). But that is not how you described it so maybe it is not even the price as much as the accounting story that creates the negative image.

Perhaps the real question should be, "Is that extra $5 or $10 really worth the risk of making it clear to customers that the LDS has them by the $%#@s and does not mind ripping them off?"

Can I afford being ripped of for a few buck? Sure, I'm a scuba diver.

Can the shop afford alienating customers and sending them online to shop? Many LDSs are their own worst enemy.

$20 seems to be a more common price around here but let's do the accounting. $7 for the fill is fine. An O-ring and a dab of Christolube is well under $1 worth of material even if you add in the paper towel used to wipe down the valve threads. And $5 for a few minutes works out to what - over $100 per hour. That must be a very highly trained wiper/christolube swiper.
Its actually 2 o rings..think retail,not wholesale..the lds is there as a business and is allowed to make a profit,right?? As for the labor, $5. is about right, as of course that person is being paid to be in the store and available to perform their job during an 8 hour day. I am sure that at your job you do not constantly work 8 hours straight at a task but expect to be paid for an 8 hour day. You also forget there are other costs involved,such as rent,heat.electric,insurance etc..All these costs are involved in the day to day operation of any facility.

Perhaps the real question should be, "Is that extra $5 or $10 really worth the risk of making it clear to customers that the LDS has them by the $%#@s and does not mind ripping them off?"
Sorry, I cannot see where it is considered a "rip off" once knowing all the costs involved.
Perhaps renting a tank for $10. a day (only $3.more than just getting one filled) is a better deal than owning one with the yearly and once every 5 year costs involved.

Can I afford being ripped of for a few buck? Sure, I'm a scuba diver.
Can the shop afford alienating customers and sending them online to shop? Many LDSs are their own worst enemy.
No problem.If customers choose to go online that is the way of things. Gear usually ends up costing about the same over time. Inexpensive maybe online at time of purchase can cost more at service time, due to perhaps no warranty for parts or shipping cost to and from repair shop. Or user discovers it is not the right type of gear for themselves at their level of experience and buys something else..Most LDS look at other LDs as their competition, and they are wrong..The competition is the stores that sell bicycles/tennis/skates/paintball..any activity that competes for the same leisure dollar that the LDS is after. The online stores are there, and there is a place for them, but they are NOT the real competitors for the many LDs that are doing their job correctly of providing true customer service.

Or user discovers it is not the right type of gear for themselves at their level of experience and buys something else.
I agree with that statement 100%, and that is exactly WHY we are forced to shop online since our LDS doesn't carry what we need. In fact there isn't a single online store that does carry all I want, at the prices I am willing to pay. DRIS sure comes close though, and they are a lot of peoples LDS.

When it came time to buy my partners wetsuit for warm water diving, she found the wetsuit at one local store and the booties at another LDS. Even takes two of our local stores to complete a simple purchase.

[
oly5050user;6697828]Its actually 2 o rings..think retail,not wholesale..the lds is there as a business and is allowed to make a profit,right??

A profit????? Why should anyone running a scuba store have any reason to expect to make a profit. Didn't they get into this business because they love diving and helping others get and stay involved? :pirate3:

As for the labor, $5. is about right, as of course that person is being paid to be in the store and available to perform their job during an 8 hour day. I am sure that at your job you do not constantly work 8 hours straight at a task but expect to be paid for an 8 hour day. You also forget there are other costs involved,such as rent,heat.electric,insurance etc..All these costs are involved in the day to day operation of any facility.

Do you mean that someone that has the privledge of working in a dive shop should expect to be paid? Darn, I thought that by gracing them with my presence would be "pay" enough for today. The next thing you know, they will expect to eat meals on a regular schedule. :heart:

Sorry, I cannot see where it is considered a "rip off" once knowing all the costs involved.
Perhaps renting a tank for $10. a day (only $3.more than just getting one filled) is a better deal than owning one with the yearly and once every 5 year costs involved.

This is a simple one. The tank is already there. No one else is using it. It is for, you did then inspections yourself. You had to use the compressor to fill some other tanks anyway so it wasn't any real expense or trouble to fill this tank. Just let me borrow it. I swear I'll bring it back in a week or two. :crafty:

No problem.If customers choose to go online that is the way of things. Gear usually ends up costing about the same over time. Inexpensive maybe online at time of purchase can cost more at service time, due to perhaps no warranty for parts or shipping cost to and from repair shop. Or user discovers it is not the right type of gear for themselves at their level of experience and buys something else..Most LDS look at other LDs as their competition, and they are wrong..The competition is the stores that sell bicycles/tennis/skates/paintball..any activity that competes for the same leisure dollar that the LDS is after.

Hey, I read a number of scuba forums and they all said you sold crap for gear so you would be pleased if I came to your store and used you as a fitting room. I need you to order a 4X 5mil wet suit so I can see if that will fit. I found some great deals online but I don't know for sure if I'm a 3X or 4X and I don't want to make them think I don't know what I want. And could you get it in all the colors? I want to see which matches my eyes best.
:rofl3:
The online stores are there, and there is a place for them, but they are NOT the real competitors for the many LDs that are doing their job correctly of providing true customer service

Seriously now, I will partially agree with you on this on Oly, I've been involved in the scuba business for about the last 14 years. I've seen some good dive shops that really tried to be honest and give the best customer service that they could go under. I've also seen shops that have developed their cult following keep right on trucking because their "followers" have drank the kool-aid and for the most part have never looked at another dive shop.

Right now, I have 5 dive shops within 15 miles of my house. I don't fully trust any of them and cannot consider any of them as a LDS. I do associate with a couple of them just to get air but I'd buy myself a compressor if I could justify the cost. I know for a fact that 3 will rip you off so fast you wouldn't have time to realize you got shafted until they smiled offered you a cigarette.

Over the years, I have tried to support my LDS and almost always gave them a chance to match any price I found on anything I was looking for. Most of the time, they got close enough, other times not. No hard feelings because they knew where my loyalty truly was. Now days without a truly honest dive shop around I'll just have to take my chances.

Until an air whip is intalled on my PC I'll be supporting my LDS whenever I can. Besides the owner of my LDS is one of my dive buddies also.

I have one of those. It's made by Bauer. The USB to 220v adapter was difficult to find.

Another LDS/online thread that brings out the "one or the other" debate. I use both. I also buy almost exclusively used gear so most LDSes simply don't carry what I need for my big items. The shop I currently use (of the 8 or 10 very close to me) won my business early because of an employee who knew what customer service meant. He has since left and started his own gig down in Costa Rica... the shop gets much less of my business now. They charged me >$100 for o-rings and a couple diaphragms that took them almost a month to get.

Sure, they're nice but they don't really sell the things I want/need. They can/will only service one of my regs. The rest are "too old" and they even have a couple of them on their "museum wall". I laughed when I realized this... they didn't. They always charge for fills after a vis/hydro and rarely give me discounts though they used to send me gift certificates for my birthday. I bought a t-shirt the last time I got one of those.

There's another more tech-oriented shop around here I plan to visit but every time I've called them I've gotten the "if you're not tech don't talk to us" vibe from the people there. I like "tech gear" but don't have an interest in tech diving. I will eventually get over there though and see if they can win my business.

I've spent about $2200 or so on all the gear I've bought. Probably only about $350 of that has been in a dive shop, including the o-rings, 2 lights, a wetsuit, and a couple of other small items. Everything else has been through Craigslist, ebay and a few small purchases from DRIS, Scubatoys, and Dive Gear Express.

Back
Top Bottom