Does damp underwear increase heat loss?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mello-yellow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
August 17 I did one dive on Chester Poling (a 90' deep wreck) in 48 F water, and was quite warm. August 25 I did two dives. At first one water was 62 F. At the second it was 54 F, and I felt very cold -- much worse than in the objectively colder water a week earlier. Could it be because by the second dive my drysuit underwear was soaked with sweat?

August 17 I did one dive on Chester Poling (a 90' deep wreck) in 48 F water, and was quite warm. August 25 I did two dives. At first one water was 62 F. At the second it was 54 F, and I felt very cold -- much worse than in the objectively colder water a week earlier. Could it be because by the second dive my drysuit underwear was soaked with sweat?

It sure can.

Although I've done dives with completely soaked thermals and not been cold as well ....

In those cases, I turn my valve a few clicks back to keep more air in on the bottom portion of those dives (or when we go through a bunch of thermoclines). Of course, on the ascent, the valve gets opened up all the way.

BRad

Back
Top Bottom