Does diving count as a workout day or a couch day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyLitigator

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So my DAN renewal has a big disclaimer that Scuba Diving in strenuous, but not sufficient activity to prepare you for diving (e.g., you gotta exercise too - totally understand).

Here's my question. On days I dive, I don't otherwise workout (though I try to most other days). For counting rest days, does a dive day (figure a standard 2-3 tank dive in 60 F water) count as a couch day, or is it an activity day so I can do a couch day later in the week?

It depends on how you define “work days”. I have recently been diving with the Apple Watch with the dive ap. It keeps track of calories burned and it was a surprising amount. I forget the exact figures but three dives will get about 600 calories burned which is like walking 6 miles. So not a whole bunch but not totally sedentary either.

I understand that diving can stress the cardiovascular system especially at depth. And getting onto the boat especially when it is rough probably does that too. So it is a good idea to be in decent shape if you go diving.

I guess it depends, if you swim like a maniac down there, then that’s an exercise, my heart rate is on the 70s during my dives, about 150 or so calories burned.
For someone like me, the stuff that happens out of the water related to diving, carrying tanks, switching tanks, carrying gear, climbing ladder… would count more of an exercise than the dive itself.

Either way, I like to go by the, don’t dive to get fit, get fit to dive, motto.

Couch.

600 calories is one burrito.

Diving itself feels less like a workout (heart rate doesn't get up much) and more like a good hike. You're definitely burning energy and moving around a lot. So call it an "active day".

Like others are saying, if you have to lug around all your gear that could shift into a workout kind of day, but still less strenuous than full reps at the gym.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom