Does diving count as a workout day or a couch day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering at my most frequent dive sites, I have to load about 80-100 pounds of crap in a cart to carry it a mile round-trip or onto a boat, put it all on, climb up and down ladders while wearing it, and swim for 1-2 hours per dive... I count it as a workout, no doubt about it.

It's usually a good primer when I don't feel like eating much for a few days; by the time I'm done with a day of diving I'm DEFINITELY ready to hit a restaurant or get home and eat something.

If you're not tired after a dive, it's not a workout. If you are tired after a dive: switch to Nitrox.

As you get older, your body will definitely let you know it is a work/activity day. When I was younger, 3-4 dives/day was doable. Not so much anymore.
oh i am glad to see we are the same. 🙃

Small update. Wore a Fitbit putzing around in a buddy’s pool and practicing DSMB deployment. Didn’t get any ‘zone minutes’ and couldn’t find a heart rate increase squinting at the Fitbit graph.

Last week we went diving in an old mine. It was a 250m way down to the water. And we dove with rebreathers and trimix, so it was a 4 times walk to get everything at the water. I was a little bit unlucky with a leaking neckseal, so my drysuit flooded suddenly at 65m depth. Because I could not swim horizontal easy anymore, it was a struggle to don't stir everything up. It was also a quite long swim out and the water was 8 degrees. At 45m on a longer horizontal swim I got a bad headache, shortly followed by an sort of out of breath, directly followed by a feeling of getting too less air. And I had 1 hour to the surface left. But had my first CO2 hit on a rebreather. So bailed out, all went fine soon again. Only not my flooded drysuit and the cold water of course. After the dive it was a 4 times walk again to bring everything out of the mine. But this time with a very bad headache which lasted almost 8 hours.
So was this a workout or not? I think if you are not fit, you can't do this dive. :wink:
And the next day we did the same dive again. :D

I don't think you get a good cardiofascular condition by just diving. It is probably the way to the water that makes you doing some 'sport'. But you must be fit to do dives like the ones I sometimes do. For an easy warm water dive there is less condition or fitness asked.

I do also 2 times a week running (want to go to 3 times, but have to be carefull as I got a very bad tendenitis in my achillestendons due to side effects of antibiotics), do walking (2 times a week), horseriding (2-3 times a week) and sometimes swimming.
On some sundays I go diving in the morning (at my home only shallow diving possible), then go horseriding right after the dive. And then in the evening I do a run. So then I do a triatlon on 1 day, haha. Today it was till now just a biatlon with diving and horseriding.

So my DAN renewal has a big disclaimer that Scuba Diving in strenuous, but not sufficient activity to prepare you for diving (e.g., you gotta exercise too - totally understand).
With my admittedly limited reading on medical science and Scuba, I worry about micro-tears in muscles, ligaments and tissues arising out of a workout, and bubble formation ( even a casual pull-up routine or attempt to get fit with a set of push-ups ) some 48 hrs before a diving day. How right or wrong am I about this??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom