Does Florida Always Suck This Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the world of scuba diving in an ocean.

In some of the coastal states, if the sea's go higher than a specified level, while the boat is out with customers, the charter boat is responsible for personal damage claims.

Inland Texas water on a bad day is likely 3" swells with 1" white caps. Not much liability there.

When I am notified of a cancellation I go to the next coastal location that has boats going out. Just a suggestion.

Thanks about the advice on Texas inland water:D, our swells are small due to all the mud in the water. Most of my boat diving is off So Cal and Mass, which seem to cancel only in heavy seas / high winds. That is why I was so supprised to get smoked when the wind was relatively low and from show the seas looked calm today (from shore, which I know can be misleading).

Its easy for a resident to say plan for WX days, but every extra day down here is several hundred dollars. Airline tickets must be purchased in advance or they are unaffordable. Seems like a no win situation when you are cooling your heels in a hotel room.

Very frustrating!

Actually, Florida spends millions of dollars per year to invite tourist to spend their dollars in your state. So in a way I was invited. Not sure what you mean about I10, I flew in.

Anyway I expected some flack considering the attitude I had when posting. What I was asking is do your boats always cancel so easy? The 1st responder answered the question with more class than I used when I posted. After taking time of from work and spending 2 days flying in and out, I am grumpy.

Yes, the florida tourist board does spend millions to invite tourist to have fun and enjoy what this state has to offer, not to come and clog up our streets, beaches and restaraunts while complaining about how much better things are in Michigan, New Jersey, or Nebraska. My point is act like a guest and your welcome, act like you just bought the place and we all work for you and you will NOT be welcome. Weather is always a factor when doing anything outdoors, be it playing golf or scuba diving. The weather changes and people have no control over it. Quit whining, I wasn't able to dive this week either and I live here.

I understand where ya'll are coming from. I have an old college friend who is coming down next week to dive. My major concern when we first began planning this trip was that she would spend all this money to come down here & then we'd get blown out. Hence, we will be off to Ginnie Springs. Weather is weather folks. Like a previous poster stated, if ya don't plan for it, chances are, you'll get bit. Especially if you have my kind of luck. :)

Its easy for a resident to say plan for WX days, but every extra day down here is several hundred dollars. Airline tickets must be purchased in advance or they are unaffordable. Seems like a no win situation when you are cooling your heels in a hotel room.

Very frustrating!

It is not about being a resident or a visitor. Not even about being a diver, it is the nature of the ocean.
Looking at the NOAA buoys in the Tampa area, for the last five days they had wave height of 1.5 to 2 meters. We don't like it anymore than a visitor would. Just because we are residents doesn't mean our plans go perfect.

My work depends on the ocean, my husband's too. There are times I go out off other states coasts with the idea of being back in X amount of days but if the weather sucks I may have to stay longer because the job is not completed. I can't say the state suck because my schedule got screwed up. I mean I can say whatever I want... but it would be silly, wouldn't it?

Just cuz its warm here in the winter, it doesn't mean its a great dive destination in the winter. We tend to get blown out a lot this time of year.

Bottom line from all the "good" answers is I was a chump for scheduling a dive trip to Florida in March. Despite the flack from a few (which I deserved) I appreciate the feedback.

Well, I will be sure to stay well away from Florida Underwater Sports and Blue Water Explorers. They evidently don't like us whining foreigners from north of the Fla-Ga line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom