Does Florida Always Suck This Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I will be sure to stay well away from Florida Underwater Sports and Blue Water Explorers. They evidently don't like us whining foreigners from north of the Fla-Ga line.

You won't be missed.

Jupiter Dive Center is not shy about running in bumpy seas...

I think we can take more chances on the east coast because we get to the dive site in no time. People can tolerate higher levels of misery for short periods of time.

It feels that it takes forever to get to the dive location on the gulf side which is probably why charters in that side call it with less seas than their counterparts on the Ocean side.

Add to that the wave period is generally even shorter on the gulf side than on the SE FL side. 4' waves with a 4 sec period is a lot more of a pain to deal with than 8'-10' waves with a 16-18 second period which you might dive with in Socal.

I have a friend from Chicago that wanted to plan a dive ASAP here, but I told him "don't bother till may"

Better luck next time....if you come again.

I think we can take more chances on the east coast because we get to the dive site in no time. People can tolerate higher levels of misery for short periods of time.

It feels that it takes forever to get to the dive location on the gulf side which is probably why charters in that side call it with less seas than their counterparts on the Ocean side.

Exactly, this morning the winds did not seem too bad but the predictions last night were for the winds to kick back up mid morning. I'm sure the Captains made their call not because they were concerned about getting to the dive site but rather because they would be facing nasty headwinds coming back in. Like I said, it's 12 miles out to find water 60 ft. deep.

Yep, that's one of the many reason I live on the right (East) coast of Fla. :wink:

Honest question.

I accompanied my wife to a conference in Tampa so I could have some decent dives since I am living in Texas. Now for 3 days in a row, the dive boats canceled for "weather" and I have to head home bone dry. I understand the need to the captains to call in dangerous conditions, but from shoes it just looks a little cloudy with a gentle breeze (10-15MPH).

Is this typical?

I don't dive on the gulf side. I have done my diving on the east coast: West Palm, Pompano, Key Largo and the lower keys. I suppose it depends on the boat. I have been out when it has been pretty rough - 6' seas and strong currents. Also, remember conditions at the marina are a bit different than conditions out at sea. Also here on the east coast, things tend to be at their calmest at day break and get increasingly active as the day progresses.

From my experience, the dive operator will go out as long as they consider it 1) safe and 2) that most of the customers will be able to enjoy it. If either does not apply, they will not go.

I mean, the operator may be fine about the conditions. But they just talked to a large number of their customers and realize that most of them will be seasick under the current conditions. It just does not make sense to take people out when all they will do is suffer.

Bottom line from all the "good" answers is I was a chump for scheduling a dive trip to Florida in March. Despite the flack from a few (which I deserved) I appreciate the feedback.

No, you weren't a "chump" just a bit of bad luck. Like any other state, winter and early spring weather in Florida is unpredictable. If when your charters had been cancelled you had questioned a local dive shop about options you might have been directed to dive Rainbow river, Alexander springs or Ginnie springs. Not diving didn't cost you anything except time. Next time before you visit, pick up a copy of Deloache's Diving Guide to Underwater Florida so that you are armed with options. The sarcasm of your original post was not well received and was returned with like sarcasm. We locals have had a long winter of snowbirds complaining about everything florida and frankly we get a bit tired of the poor manners of out of state "visitors". Spending money here doesn't excuse poor manners.

Wow. Ummm..... Well, yes, the Gulf is the Gulf. One of the reasons I left the Flower Gardens is the high cancellation rate in the spring. Florida has been better for me, especially with diving in the Dry Tortugas available. In the Dry Tortugas, there is always something to hide behind. I think we're gonna find out next weekend if the theory holds.

So, to answer your question, Not all of Florida sucks as bad as you say, but weather is weather, and boat captains are responsible for your safety on the water. If you plan a winter trip for Florida, plan on having an alternative too.

In the last 3 months I have flown down to Florida to dive in KL. I can guarantee it cost me more to fly down there than most. Yeah we had a couple of days were the waves were to high to go out. Yeah.....the ones that were complaining were actually visitors from other states, not Canada. I was embarrassed for for the dive op because of the native "USA" er's doing all the bitching and complaining.

Mind you I am a realist and **** happens.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom