Does fundies teach nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will learn Nitrox for 32% only but most people taking the class had a Nitrox class before. Gue only uses 32% to 100 feet then we switch to a better gas.

GUE actually advocates a better gas even earlier than 100ft I think. Im thinking TriOx or some other GUE standardized trimix.

Tim - Bob is quite big on trimix at 90feet or so, but GUE itself seems pretty firm about 100 feet being the depth beyond which it is necessary.

GUE does not teach best mix, because as an organization it doesn't think it's a good idea. The most cogent argument here seems to be "what happens if one site is bad and you have to go dive a different site at a different depth?"

MOD, pPO2, EAD all get taught, but essentially the calculation is already done for you, since the variable of FO2 is eliminated--it's always 32%. They also teach pulmonary and CNS clocks, again with 32%.

I have to say, while I've read Bove & Davis cover to cover, having all the shortcut formulas that Fundies gives such that you really can calculate things out in your head is kind of liberating.

So does fundies teach beyond the standard gas mixes? Do they teach you about MODs, pP02s, EADs, best mixes, etc? I am taking fundies, so I dont know or sure, but I think this would be important to know before blowing off nitrox totally, since it comes in handy when trying to understand decompression ideas. It hasn't bothered me though; I took NAUI nitrox, but it should be important to the OP i would think.

If GUE doesn't teach all that about nitrox then I would suggest additional reading such as Deco for Divers, or a TDI, IANTD, NAUI text on the subject.

Most all that you mentioned is covered in the Tech 1 curriculum (Getting Clear on the Basics) which you can download from GUE's website. That and the GUE Rec manual should keep you busy for awhile. Lastly, I thought IANTD's Tech-Lite Manual was quite good especially compared to TDI's material...

Tim - Bob is quite big on trimix at 90feet or so, but GUE itself seems pretty firm about 100 feet being the depth beyond which it is necessary.

GUE does not teach best mix, because as an organization it doesn't think it's a good idea. The most cogent argument here seems to be "what happens if one site is bad and you have to go dive a different site at a different depth?"

MOD, pPO2, EAD all get taught, but essentially the calculation is already done for you, since the variable of FO2 is eliminated--it's always 32%. They also teach pulmonary and CNS clocks, again with 32%.

I have to say, while I've read Bove & Davis cover to cover, having all the shortcut formulas that Fundies gives such that you really can calculate things out in your head is kind of liberating.

Yeah, i was more referring to the use of TriOx past 60' as covered in the Rec 2 (or what was) course. 32% to 100' technically shouldn't be a problem, but thanks for the clarification.

Only working with 32% certainly does make it much easier for everything, but I am glad they teach all of the theory behind it as well.

Bove and Davis :) I have that sitting in my book queue; I would recommend Deco for Divers for you if you havent already read it. I have a copy if you want to borrow it post boards.

Most all that you mentioned is covered in the Tech 1 curriculum (Getting Clear on the Basics) which you can download from GUE's website. That and the GUE Rec manual should keep you busy for awhile. Lastly, I thought IANTD's Tech-Lite Manual was quite good especially compared to TDI's material...

I am pretty consistently disappointed in TDIs material (esp after reading deco for divers)
I have the getting clear on the basics book, and wil read it as soon as I have a chance.

I am pretty consistently disappointed in TDIs material (esp after reading deco for divers)
I have the getting clear on the basics book, and wil read it as soon as I have a chance.

Yeah, as much as I like all things dive related it's been somewhat of a slog to get through...

Well you guys are certianly more in depth than I am at this point. I've read quite a bit in the last two weeks, and I think I'll be ordering some books before to long. Thanks for all the references.

Just curious if the fundies class teaches the use of nitrox, of if that's supposed to be completed before class begins. I've been thinking of taking a nitrox class later this year, but if it's taught in fundies, I'll hold off.

it does teach nitrox, I would not bother with say PADI nitrox as it does not really teach anything extra worth paying for

Here's a thought: take Fundies, then use the money you saved from not taking the nitrox class to buy and read Deco for Divers or one of the diving medicine textbooks. You'll be much better off knowledge-wise and it will be somewhat cheaper. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom