Does Looe Key have good dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm going to dive at the Keys from Nov 30 to Dec 3. So far I've booked three dive trips (two days) in Key Largo. I still have one day left and don't know where to go. Does Looe Key National Marine Sactuary have good dive sites? Or if you know any good dive sites in the Keys, please let me know.

This will be my first reef dive (actually first long distance dive trip as well). I really hope I would have a wonderful time. :)

Please advice,
Patrick

Contact Rachel at wreckreationcharters.com. She'll be able to help you out. We did two trips with her this year and it was great!!

ppatrick:
So far I've booked three dive trips (two days) in Key Largo...Does Looe Key National Marine Sactuary have good dive sites?

This will be my first reef dive
If this will be your first reef dive, then I recommend that you check out Paradise Charters as a possible dive operator for Key Largo. Unlike most Keys dive ops, they put a DM or dive guide in the water for no extra charge. This lets you spend focus more on the mechanics of diving itself and looking at the reef and fish, while the DM handles the navigation. You probably still have time to cancel and rebook if you want.

Looe Key is an excellent reef. Mostly 20' or less in depth, and is a very nicely defined spur and groove reef system that makes navigation very easy.

Wreckreation might not be running trips anymore since the owner/operator is getting ready to head on over to the Turks. There are several other operators that go to Looe Key. If you are a relatively new diver, make sure that you are on a trip that does both dives on Looe Key, rather than a trip where the first does the 100' deep Aldophus Busch wreck.

Enjoy!

Charlie Allen

Charlie99:
If this will be your first reef dive, then I recommend that you check out Paradise Charters as a possible dive operator for Key Largo. Unlike most Keys dive ops, they put a DM or dive guide in the water for no extra charge. This lets you spend focus more on the mechanics of diving itself and looking at the reef and fish, while the DM handles the navigation.
Charlie Allen

That is a very good suggestion. Sadly Paradise Charter is gone. I called them and received message "the phone number is no longer in service" :-( Do you know any other Keys dive ops that do not charge extra (or charge little) to have DM do the navigation.

Thank you everybody who replied my post.

You should realize that in general the reefs are in terrible shape. Looe Key reef is probably 70% dead coral covered by algae and other "stuff". It is very sad, but don't expect too much anymore. The death of the coral is pretty dramatic even inthe last 10 years

We were in the keys about this time last year, lucky or un-lucky we had our own boat. Dove on Lowe Key NMS liked it so did the wife. Also hit Elbow and Molasses Reef out of Key Largo I recall. Shortest way out to Lowe key NMS is by way of Cudjoe Key MM 21. Tim runs the Cudjoe Gardens Marina a great guy, last I knew they had a lady that ran a dive boat out of the marina, although we never saw her. Good resturant next to the marina so you could make a day of it. If you go tell Chuck who lives above the marina, and everyone else Chad and Sugar say HI.\

Best of Luck

The Chad:
We were in the keys about this time last year, lucky or un-lucky we had our own boat. Dove on Lowe Key NMS liked it so did the wife. Also hit Elbow and Molasses Reef out of Key Largo I recall. Shortest way out to Lowe key NMS is by way of Cudjoe Key MM 21. Tim runs the Cudjoe Gardens Marina a great guy, last I knew they had a lady that ran a dive boat out of the marina, although we never saw her. Good resturant next to the marina so you could make a day of it. If you go tell Chuck who lives above the marina, and everyone else Chad and Sugar say HI.\

Best of Luck
Tim is a good guy..also used to rent out boats and tanks to divers..Rachel of wreckcreation charters ran dives out of cudjoe marina with a 24' privateer..earlier post claims she is no longer there ..

KeyLargoBrent:
Wreckreation Charters (Lower Keys) and Paradise Charters (Upper Keys) are both gone.

Wow,

I just called to see if I could book a trip with Rachel and the phone number is disconnected. The website is still up. Anybody know if she is just taking some time off?

Mile Marker 21, Cudjoe Gardens Marina, Florida Keys
(305) 515-2750
rachel@wreckreationcharters.com

<EDIT>
I see she has relocated ! http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=167131

<EDIT>

dumpsterDiver:
You should realize that in general the reefs are in terrible shape. Looe Key reef is probably 70% dead coral covered by algae and other "stuff". It is very sad, but don't expect too much anymore. The death of the coral is pretty dramatic even inthe last 10 years

Hey dumpsterDiver, where do you recommend to dive in the keys? I have seen Looe's quality ebb and flow over the past 15 or so years. Where should we be diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom